Chapter 3

Later that evening, Heyes and Curry sat round a table in the saloon together with four other gentlemen, involved in a game of poker.

To Heyes' malice, the pots had been considerably big, and he'd manage to win not too many of them for the others to take on any suspicions about cheating or else. Curry had also played his hands well, so when Heyes didn't claim the pot, he did on several occasions.

Giving their excuses to the others, Heyes and Curry stood up from the table to take a short break.

Taking their new places at the bar, each of them ordered a beer. The bartender looked them over and frowned.

"Just passing through?" he asked as he steadily poured them each a glass, placing them on the bar.

Curry took a gulp from the glass and let it slide down his throat, then he placed the glass back on the bar.

"Haven't decided yet " he answered back and stared at the man, "Right now we are enjoying our stay...soo, who knows "

Heyes nodded his approval and nursed his beer.

"Ya' saw the race this afternoon?" it was more a statement than a question.

They nodded.

"She's a real doll, that Chyenne " the bartender got a distant look as he mentioned the name.

Heyes tried not to choke on the beer, and he slowly put it down on the bar.

"Her name's Chyenne?" he forced through his lips.

The sly smile that spread in the bartenders face made a chill travel down Heyes' spine.

"Uhu ! But don't let her beauty fool you, " he adviced, "cause she'll bite your head right off!"

"Uhu!" was all Heyes managed, then he turned around and leaned his back against the bar .

Curry followed his move and leaned next to him, both of them gazing outside through the window.

The street outside were busy even at this late hour, both realized it had to do with todays event. The towns people were going back and forth, seemingly coming from another street ahead.

"You wanna stay?" he mumbled and looked askance at Heyes. He could tell that his friend was somewhere far away in thoughts, by his posture and the look in his eyes.

"What? Yes " Heyes said a little numb and ogled back at Curry, "After all...I owe the lady some money "

Curry raised his eyebrow as he turned his head towards Heyes.

"Uhu?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't be a gentleman if I neglected to pay her back, now would I? "

Curry chuckled softly as he slowly sipped a little from his beer.

"Ohh...you scoundrel "

Heyes turned back to the bar with a wicked grin, and grabbed his glass. He felt confident that he was gonna enjoy this, confident indeed.

With just a fair amount of sleep, Heyes rubbed his eyes groggily the next morning. The sun was shining through the billowing blue curtain, and poking his eyes.

Slowly he sat up and glanced over at the Kid, then smiling as he heard him snor loudly.

Almost immediately his thoughts were with the woman he'd encountered yesterday, Chyenne!

His dimples showed as he couldn't help but to smile as he thought of her. As hotblooded as they come, Curry had said. Maybe he was right, and darn it, Heyes wanted to know.