* Chapter 15 - At Ease

ابدأ من البداية

Their faces show understanding, but perhaps frustration at a more visible lack of reward or reasonable recompose for their comrade's death. Lena understood their feelings, but sometimes it is better to not be too greedy.

The greatest teacher is Napoleon Bonaparte himself. True his greed was out of power, but the lesson still holds true. If he had merely stabilized his country's borders rather than expanding, this empire would not have fallen. But in his conquest for power he spread himself too thin and lost miserably.

Lena did not care to repeat that same mistake as the military was currently strengthening itself for now. Not to mention after having used up one of her aces, she no longer held the same element of surprise. Even if they doubted she was the author of the successes, they believed she had an alley who was capable of such a feat and therefore would not underestimate her.

And even more so after the creation and use of wyverns in battle. Lena was certain that within a fortnight all or most kingdoms will have some sort of air force ready. That was one of the primary reasons Lena was so reluctant to use them. Because, tactics like those only work once or twice, before easily being counterattacked.

"That is all for tonight. I order to you go and rest. All of you are dead on your feet," Captain Darrell and Lieutenant Robertson sleepily salute as they leave the room.

The door softly closes after them as Lena eyes the duck in Chief Officer Gauthier arms. "Well, I must commend you on your superb acting Coco, I did not know you possessed such skills. But I suppose one is an actor when one vies for the masses attention," Lena lightly said as she tiredly shifted in her seat.

Coco snorts and says, "Yes, well it was no great thing. After all, I saw what my brother did to my mother and younger siblings. And killing my father, I would not and could not dare forgive him."

"I see," Lena said as she studied the unusually sober duck, before turning towards Chief Officer Gauthier and asking, "Chief Officer Gauthier, what news do you have for me?"

Chief Officer Gauthier eyes become bright as he keenly reports, "My spirit is doing that which the General desired and is acting as a good ruler. Although, there are is some opposition it should not be too much of a problem too quiet or appease them."

"Yes, I was very pleased by the spirits acting. And what of the LaCroix's soul?" Lena quietly added.

Chief Officer Gauthier smiles a somewhat disturbing smile. "I used him as ingredient in my work. He's proved to be most useful and soon, I will be able to show my results if all goes well," Chief Officer Gauthier said rather sinisterly.

Lena faintly smiles and says, "And since you have been doing good work, Chief Officer Gauthier, I shall reward you for your service. Ask and it shall be given if it is possible."

Chief Officer Gauthier frowns for a moment and ponders the subject. After a moment, he sincerely says, "Nothing for now, but can I cash the request at a later point in time?"

Lena somewhat warily answers, "Yes."

Chief Officer Gauthier eyes glisten with glee as he grabs the sullen duck off the desk.

Coco indignantly squawks, "Wait, what about my reward?"

Lena eyes the duck and says, "You will gain your reward once you have amply proved yourself, Coco. You have yet to do so."

Coco sniffs nosily at Lena as Chief Officer Gauthier firmly keeps a hold on the duck and flees her study, before Coco responds back.

Lena's bones creak tiredly as she makes her way to her bedroom. On the morrow, Lena must rise early and present herself at the Capital. It would be like facing a pack of hungry wolves baying for her blood.

Without bothering to change or kick off her shoes, Lena falls onto the rarely used bed. Lena knew that Holly will shriek at her tomorrow, but she didn't care. "Sometimes it's good to get our feathers ruffed," Lena mumbled to herself as she fell into a blissful sleep.

~ POV of Elder of Typhon ~

With haste, he departed for the organization's headquarters. An emergency council meeting had been called, an event which had not transpired in over 350 years. Not since the demon king arose and perished before the forces of the heroes.

It was late evening when he arrived along with many high-ranking members. Many of the members did not bother to don their formal wear other than their masks. Like children, they noisily and hastily entered the council room.

Upon the last member sprinting into the room, the doors slammed shut behind him and locked. With cold curiosity, we all turned to stare at the council head in his sun mask. The council head arose and gruffly said, "The Kingdom of Cypress has fallen and applied to formally become a council governed state."

Silence falls upon the council until a member with a fox mask dares to interrupt the silence. "Your grace, how is that possible? What about the Silver Compromise and the Empires?" The feminine voice softly asked.

The council head raspingly responds, "Not only had the Kingdom of Alyssum already prepared documents to prove their reasons for attacking during a ceasefire, but can provide the testimony and confession from King Edward himself of his crimes.

Not only were the Empires and Silver Compromise unable to protest the sudden strike, but we were unable to prevent the petition of the Kingdom of Cypress to be annexed and become its own ruling state."

The members gape and murmur amongst themselves as the elder with the moon mask rises and says, "Please hold your questions. A spy of ours holds a recording of said events that transpired."

As the elder seats herself a member appears from the shadows and places a memory crystal on the table. A beam of light shoots out from the crystal and the scene enfolds above them. Everyone gapes at seeing the capture of Victoria in a single night one night, but the forces employed were all new and ingenious to most of them.

After the battle scenes died off, the scenes changed to a figure known as the Scarlet Princess. The members are taken back at the eloquence of the woman as she speaks. By the end of the crystal even he felt inspired by her words.

A silence reigns as the room darkens as the crystal shatters into pieces, now that it's recordings have been seen. He clears her his throat and speaks, "Is General Bartholomew a threat? Or it the one who is aiding her?"

The elder's nod their heads in approval as the council head raspingly says, "There are no clues to the identity nor agenda of her backer. The only proven connection we hold is that of General Bartholomew. She cannot and must not be killed until we discover the identity of the puppeteer in the shadows. Find the connection. The council is dismissed."

All the members rise to their feet and depart as each leave in their own thoughts. He swiftly makes haste to connect his own inquires. He could not allow such a valuable promotion escape from his grasp and neither would his rivals.