5 | The Encounter

5 | The Encounter 

The next morning, I find myself hanging around the lobby waiting. What I'm waiting for, I'm not sure. Perhaps the courage to face Scarlett and admit some truths; what I did was utterly stupid. In the midst of throwing away my dignity, I'll beg for her forgiveness and propose the idea of friendship.

For someone who is trying to escape everything, it leaves me laughing at the irony of the situation. I actually want Scarlett for a friend. Maybe broken people have a way of attracting each other?

With facing the possibility of being rejected again or alone, I've come to the conclusion facing rejection seems better. At least she's talking to me and I won't go bonkers pacing the inside of my motel room.

"Are you going to sit there all day?" Scarlett calls out from her desk.

Truthfully, I'd been here for most of the day. She's almost been locked inside the secret room hiding away until Ricky stormed into the motel and forced her out of the room for a mysterious business call.

I'm not really sure why she's hiding in the spare room, but I assume it has something to do with her father. I tried fishing information from Gloria, but she knew what I was doing. I'd made the mistake of paying her, so she wasn't going to indulge me with information for free.

"Maybe." I shrug.

"Do you need something?" she asks.

"Um, can we talk?" I ask. "You know, about the other day."

"No." She shakes her head.

I couldn't help but admire her bluntness towards the situation. At least she's the girl who's decisive about what she wants.

I'm also thankfully, I'd taken this scenario into encounter. The ideal way of this conversation ending involved us skipping into the happy rainbow of friendship, but with her, I knew that was never going to happen.

"Look, I'm really sorry. What I did was stupid and way out of line. I shouldn't have done it, and again, I'm very sorry for it," I say.

Scarlett stays silent, which is another thing I expected from her.

"I don't expect you to forgive me straight away, but hopefully you'll consider it? Maybe I could take you out for food or something fun? There are fun things around here, right?"

"If you stop talking, I'll think about it," she calls out.

A smile spreads across my lips. If she's at least thinking about it, maybe she'll give in and just accept me as her friend?

"And hanging out?" I push my luck.

"Not tonight," she replies.

"How can we become friends if you spend your day hiding away?" I tease.