SIX| paige

-

"There's so many people up there," I said softly.

I stand with my hair net, scrubs, gloves, and mask on. It's such a rush being in the operating room as an actual doctor! And with the best cardio surgeon in England! - Doctor Harry Styles! I smiled at Mandy as she was asleep and being operated on by Dr. Styles and the assistance of Dr. Tomlinson, it's such a beautiful thing! But looking up into the gallery, there were so many people! Mandy had a rare heart disease, surgery is being practiced- literally, it's the first time Harry or anyone in England has done this type of surgery before and I'm right here watching it front-and-center!

"You enjoying yourself, Dr. Elizabeth?" Harry- I mean, Dr. Styles asked.

"Yes! Definitely!" I smiled. "May I stand closer? Pretty, pretty please! I can barley see a thing and this is supposed to be a learning thing! I swear to you that I will stay quiet and not say a word if you'd let me stand just a little-"

"Switch places with Dr. Tomlinson," spoke Harry.

"Pardon?" Louis asked.

Louis is the head resident surgeon on this particular surgery, he's doing so much that I don't even think I can comprehended it. I've been watching, but I've also been watching Harry.

"Take over, Dr. Elizabeth," Harry said again.

"Harry, are you sure-" Louis was cut off.

"Switch, now," Harry ordered.

Louis and I switched places. He didn't look angry at me, more like worried that I'd kill Mandy. But I won't, I won't kill her, I know exactly what to do! I've been watching him, even though it was for the first time, I saw what he was doing.

"Have you been observing Dr. Tomlinson?" Harry asked.

"Yessir, I have! I know exactly what to do, it's really simple once you watch his hands and then his fingers, the way he told his instruments really helped. Back in med school, they never really let you do anything. Especially the one I went to, it was more like watch and learn, so that's exactly what I did!" I explained.

Harry stopped operating and turned to me. He ordered for the glasses to be removed from his face as he looked down at me, purely because of the height difference. He stared at me until I looked away to Louis for help. Louis shrugged and looked just as confused as I did, matter-of-fact, as I am! I am very confused why he's staring at me!

"Please explain the procedure," said Harry. "If I feel comfortable enough in your word, I'll let you operate."

"Really?! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! That's so exciting! You'll really let me operate?! That's so kind! Gosh, I've had the best day here so far-"

"Focus, Dr. Elizabeth," Harry spoke. "Tell me what Dr. Tomlinson was doing."

I nodded and closed my eyes for a couple long seconds. When I opened them, I looked at the gallery; there were so many people up there. I noticed Quinn and Niall and Liam. I noticed different surgeons and nurses and interns too, I even saw some residents up there. They're all here to watch Harry and I'm ruining it.

"Focus on me, Dr. Elizabeth," spoke Harry soothingly. "We don't have much time to dilly-dally."

"The incision seems to be already made..." I muttered.

I heard the giggles and the mutters of the doctors up in the gallery. I peeked up at them and furrowed my eyebrows, they're laughing at me.

"Dr. Elizabeth," Harry spoke. "Eyes on me."

"Okay," I gulped, suddenly feeling a sense of nervousness. "We need to remove the heart, leave behind a section of the right and left atria, and the two upper chambers of the heart. Oh!" I smiled.

"Continue," Harry smiled, I could tell under the mask he wore.

"And then, oh! The new heart is carefully connected to the aorta, the main artery, the pulmonary artery, and the remaining atria! Oh boy, oh man, oh man! And then," I smiled and continued. "Then, Mandy is going to be taken off of bypass when the new heart starts to beat!"

"Someone's done their homework," Louis commented.

"I have, sort of! Oh man! Thank you so much for this! It's so much fun and I'm learning too!" I smiled.

"Do you feel comfortable enough to operate?" Harry asked.

"No sir, I don't right now. And besides, it's Louis's surgery too! I can't take that from him when he helped me get this spot!" I smiled at Louis.

"It's Doctor Tomlinson to you, Dr. Elizabeth," Louis corrected me.

I giggled and looked up to the gallery. I noticed the surgeons were nodding, but the interns and the residents, they scowled at me. I noticed Niall and Quinn walk out of the filled gallery. I sighed and stepped back, letting Louis take his spot back. I stared at my shoes depressingly as the surgery continued.

-

Once Mandy was all patched up, I was I instructed to stay with her overnight to make sure her vitals stay alright and her heart doesn't fail on her. I threw off my gloves and mask and went to the elevator alone. I waited for it to open, and when it finally did, I stepped in. I pressed the number four and the doors started to close.

"Hold!"

I held the door for whoever was screaming at me to hold it. "I got it!" I called back. "Please hurry! I've got to get to Mandy to make sure she's alright! You hear? I just witnessed her operation first hand! It was great! Louis and Harry work great together! I hope my friends won't hate me. I think they do, though."

The person came into view and I immediately shut my mouth. He pressed the number one and smirked at me.

"I thought you did great, Dr. Elizabeth," Harry commented. "And who cares if those blokes hate you? This is a competition, you either fight or forfeit."

"Thank you," I muttered. "I'm sorry."

"For?" He asked as the elevator doors shut.

"For not operating when you asked if I was ready to operate," I sighed. "I let you down."

"It's okay," he shrugged. "You'll be ready one day."

"Thanks," I sighed.

"How'd you cram all that information in your head?" Harry chuckled. "Some of the residents don't even know how to do that particular heart transplant on a B-negative heart."

"I didn't study," I said. "I just knew it."

"What're you then? The perfect surgeon?" Harry chuckled.

I giggled and the elevator doors opened to the fourth floor. "I just remember things."

"Everything?" He asked.

"Mm," I nodded with a smiled.

"Well, Dr. Elizabeth," Harry started and grabbed my chin. "Remember this."

He kissed my lips.