ONE| quinn

-

"I recommend you should do a brain scan on her." I said. "You'd think she's a nurse being that happy."

"I don't need your input, Dr. Scott," said Tomlinson aggressively. "And our nurses aren't even happy."

I didn't respond, but only followed him into another patients room. It was a little boy, he was wiggling everywhere and whining while his mother held his hand.

"Alright Dr. Scott," said Tomlinson to me and gave me his chart. "This is Dr. Payne and he'll be operating. Please present."

I took a glance at Payne and the chart before starting.

"Marcus Degree, seven year old born with a severe case of scoliosis," I presented.

"And how would we treat it?" Payne asked.

"Surgery is the best option," I said.

"My little boy is not going into surgery!" His mother yelled at me.

Payne chucked. "Tomlinson, your interns sure are a mess."

I bit my lip to keep from saying anything inappropriate as Payne just did. I looked over the chart again to see the word 'surgery' in bold letters, it had a red line through it.

"Many treatment options are available. Wearing a brace is the best option for this case of scoliosis. Also, therapy and pain medication are recommended," I corrected.

"Good," Payne said. "Ms. Degree, we need to take your son to get an MRI to clearly see how severe this case is."

"My baby is not going into surgery! His daddy died in surgery and I'm not letting my baby boy die!" Ms. Degree protested.

"We understand ma'am," Payne smiled.

"No! He's not going!" Ms. Degree yelled.

"It's just a scan. We'll bring him back," I muttered.

Payne glanced at me.

"Alright," said Ms. Degree. "Take him, but I want him back!"

"Yes ma'am," said Payne.

"Alright Dr. Scott, you're on this case," said Tomlinson and walked out of the room.

Payne handed me his chart. "Take him for a MRI and page me when you've come up with the best way to proceed."

I nodded and Payne left.

"Dr. Scott is it?" Ms. Degree asked.

"Yes?"

"Is my son going to die?"

I bit my lip and sighed softly. "I need to produce an MRI to see how severe his scoliosis is."

"Is he going to die?" She asked again.

I sighed. "Ma'am, I cannot answer that question without an MRI. We need to get your son to the actual MRI so I can tell you if he's going to die or not."

"You're very cruel," she whimpered.

I shrugged. "It can't be helped."