Chapter 9

Hello, peoples. 

It is me again, with another update for you. SPECIAL THANKS TO GhostMonstah FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS. WOOTY. 

Anyway, shout out to gbdfapiano for commenting on last chapter's trivia question. Thx to everyone for answering them! 

ALSO, thank you all so much for reading my other story "The Demigods in High School." It has 13.2k views and you guys are all great for putting up with my ninnyness. So thanks a ton!

***

Percy walked as he pulled his jacket tighter across his body. Shivering, he made his way across the street, nearly slipping on ice more than once. He approached his destination and grinned in relief as hot air blasted into him when he opened the door to the Of the Athenians Architectural Firm.

The receptionist at the front desk looked at him, eyes trailing up and down his body. She then grinned at him brightly. Percy smiled back, glad the people here seemed so nice.

"What can I do for you, sir?" she asked.

"I'm here for, uh, Annabeth Chase. She does work here, right?" Percy asked.

The receptionist nodded, but for reasons unknown to Percy, her smile faltered when he asked for Annabeth. She gave him the directions to Annabeth's office, which was only a floor up.

He made his way to it and was about to enter, when he properly looked inside. His breath caught when he saw Annabeth working intently on building plans on a blueprint. She looked so focused, he was reminded of her when they were in high school.

She would have the same expression on her face whenever she concentrated on her blueprints, with her eyebrows slightly furrowed and her lips partially pursed. Percy smiled fondly, remembering how she'd work for hours until he would intervene. He usually distracted her by making his way to her and kissing her. She wouldn't object most of the time, and it took her mind off of math and buildings.

Thinking about it caused a strange ache on his chest. He thought about how her face would light up whenever she saw him, but now it didn't as much as it used to. He stood there, lost in his thoughts before a loud crash jolted him.

It came from a different room, but was disrupting enough so that Annabeth looked up, her expression changing from concentrated to annoyed to confused, and finally, to happy-ish. She beckoned him inside and grinned.

"Hey, Perce," The nickname made him slightly breathless, but he brushed it off as nothing, "what are you doing here? I, uh, I mean, not in a bad way, but, um, well, why are you here?"

"Oh, I wanted to talk to you about something, um, related to school," he replied.

"Okay, what about it?" Annabeth asked, looking at him strangely.

Percy wiped his hands on his jeans, "I'm guessing that you haven't heard then. Paul mentioned that in two weeks or so, there's going to be a senior reunion at Goode. It's always a five-year anniversary and this year, we'd be the graduating class five years ago."

Annabeth frowned, "Really? Well, I'd rather not go, to be honest. I wasn't the biggest fan of school or the students."

Percy raised eyebrow at her.

That was a lie, and she could tell Percy knew it, too. High School were some of the best years of Annabeth's life. She had great memories of meeting some of her best friends during those four years, and she also remembered how she and Percy had happily dated. She had always thought he was the one and was utterly heartbroken when they broke up. She spent many nights regretting her decision and on multiple occasions was on the verge dropping everything and flying back to New York and work things out. That is, until Piper, who had also gone to NYU, told Annabeth about Percy and Rachel. She told her she had seen them walking around campus together and that she wasn't sure if they were going out but it was enough for Annabeth to regret ever thinking about apologizing.

She had wanted to hate Percy, but she also recognized that their breakup was partly her fault. After all, she had been the one to tell him that maybe they couldn't work things out. She decided she couldn't spent the rest of her life sulking over a breakup.

"It'll be fun, Annabeth! You should go. I mean, I'm going and that's already a great reason to come. Plus, you were Prom Queen. How am I going to look if I don't have my queen with me?" He blushed, " I mean, uh, as in, you know, I was Prom King so it would be weird if I showed up, but you didn't," Percy reasoned.

"When is it?" She asked skeptically

"Um..." He pulled his phone out, tappinf the screen a few times before saying softly, "Next Saturday."

He eyes snapped up from her blueprints to meet his. They both knew what day was.

She thought for a few seconds before shrugging, "I'll think about it."

Percy smiled, "Fine"

"Great, I'll tell Luke later."

Percy's smile faded at that, but his tone remained optimistic, "Okay."

After that, the discussion about the reunion was over. It was silent as they both sat quietly, Annabeth back to working on her blueprints and Percy playing games on his phone. He often stole glances at her, admiring the way she concentrated. Unlike the usual awkward silence, though, this silence was peaceful and comfortable, the way it had always been.

They stayed like that for nearly half an hour when Annabeth announced that she was done for the day.

Percy stood up and stretched his arms before grinning, "Let's go, then. I'll drop you home."

They left the building, but Percy stopped briefly to say goodbye to the nice receptionist who currently had a sour look on her face. She avoided eye contact with Annabeth, but said it back to Percy with a wave.

They walked down the bustling street, briefly stopping to get coffee. Then, cups in hand, they got in Percy's car, which was parked in front of the cafe.

On the drive to Annabeth and Luke's apartment, Percy and Annabeth talked to each other, laughing and having a good time. It reminded them both of how things were before they broke up. It wasn't long before they both wished the moment wouldn't end.

Aas they pulled up in front of the building, their moment ended. They sat in silence for a while before Annabeth looked up.

Biting her lip, she turned to Percy, "I should go now."

"Yeah, okay," he said before unlocking the door.

Annabeth unfastened her seatbelt and got out.

"Bye, Percy."

"Bye."

She waved at him and went to the building. It wasn't until she disappeared through the door that Percy sighed, shaking his head before driving away.

***

There are like 4 more chapters written, so I'l try to update more often. 

TRIVIA QUESTION: WHO DID MILLIE THE CLOUD NYMPH WORK FOR IN THE LOST HERO???

REMEMBER: FIRST TO COMMENT THE CORRECT ANSWER GETS A SHOUT OUT IN THE NEXT CHAPTER!!!

-MacaroniGalore