Chapter 39 | The Lake

Start from the beginning

"Hey, shitheads," I address my friends as I sit down beside them, taking my shoes off.

"Hey, Bell." Jasper waves with a big smile.

"Hey, Jasper." I smile back, sticking my feet in the refreshing water. Max slings his arm around my shoulder lazily, making me hunch my back. We all sit and talk for God knows how long about bull crap. By the time we stand up, our feet are wrinkled, and the music has progressively gotten louder.

I think more people have shown up too because when we walk back up the hill, it's packed with people.

"You guys want to dance?" Jasper questions after kissing Addy's head. We all agree and head over to the enormous group of people dancing.

We dance to the beat of the music, Max with me and Addy with Jasper. The people around welcome us into their little circle, and we let loose.

"I'm stealing her away!" Lucas shouts out of nowhere, tugging on my shoulder. Max looks at me, making sure it's okay and I smile, letting him know it is. He winks at me before merging into a group of people.

"Hey." Lucas grins, dancing to the beat.

"Hey."

"So, what made you come here?" He raises an eyebrow.

I shrug my shoulders. "Just felt like getting out of the apartment."

"Well, I'm glad you came!" He smiles and we continue to dance without talking. He keeps a respectable distance, thankfully.

When the third song changes, I take a break and so does Lucas. I need water like crazy and he is the one who knows where it is.

"Here you go." He hands me a dripping bottle of water. I graciously take it and gulp it down.

"Do you want to go for a swim?" He grins impishly. "I'm sweating."

"Sure." I throw the empty water bottle that I chugged into the trash and follow Lucas. We get to the edge of the dock and I take my clothes off. There are lots of people in the water and some are jumping off rocks, making cannonballs, or doing backflips.

When we're both in our bathing suits, we count to three and jump in the water.

"Oh my God, it's cold!" I shout as I resurface. Lucas laughs and we both tread water for a while.

Eventually, we make our way to a shallow part and stand there, secluded from everyone else. "I really didn't want to get in here you know."

I cock my head to the side in confusion. "Then why are we in here?"

He stares at me blankly for a second. "Lucas, what's wrong?" I ask, concerned.

I swear if he tries to lay one of his lanky fingers on me.

"Miles is here."

My heart stops and my breathing hitches.

I can't form any words. I haven't seen him since a month and a half ago when we were in the cafe. What if he came here with another girl? Could I have the strength to hold myself together?

I was doing so well forgetting about him...

"Don't worry." Lucas hesitantly places his hand on my shoulder. "I know what happened between you two, I'm sorry. I know I haven't been the best person in the past and I'm sure you've heard about all the shitty things I've done...but, I just wanted to let you know if you ever need to vent, I'm here."

I smile a genuine smile, but Lucas continues talking. "Miles is a great person, he always has been but, he just made a fucking awful mistake leaving you. I hope you two figure everything out, eventually."

"Thank you, Lucas, I appreciate it. I'm not sure if things are going to work out." I sigh. It hurts saying that out loud.

"You never know," he says before swimming away.

And then, as if he heard his name being called, the boy I had loved was standing on the dock looking around.

I quickly hide behind a little divot where the land meets the water and stare at him helplessly. I look at that hair that I once ran my fingers through. I look at his eyes that once made me weak. I look at those lips I long to kiss one more time.

He looks around the water as if he's trying to find something, but when he doesn't find what he's looking for, he turns around and walks away.

Part of me wonders if he was looking for me.

━━━─── • ───━━━

QOTD: Can you relate to Bell?

╔═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╗

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading ♡

╚═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══╝