Chapter 2 | Do you have to go?

2

─── • ───

ISABELLA

I wake to the smell of bacon wafting from the kitchen. My eyes wearily open and take a minute to adjust to the sunlight streaming in through the cracks in the blinds. I notice the other half of the bed is vacant, and Jake is nowhere to be found.

I untangle myself from my sheets and walk into the living room. I find Jake in the kitchen, making breakfast, and Addison sitting on the couch with her eyes fixated on her computer.

Before announcing myself, I take the opportunity to watch him cook. He grabs the spatula, flipping the egg, and every time he moves, the muscles in his arms flex. I stare for too long, as he carefully cracks another egg into the pan. I could get used to waking up to this.

"I need to find myself a man that can cook," Addy says from behind, scaring the daylight out of me. I hold my hand over my heart, which is currently pounding out of control.

"You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry I didn't mean to." She laughs. "Did you finally put those condoms to good use last night?"

"No, we didn't."

"Well, if you're not going to use them, I might take them back for myself."

I narrow my eyes at her, and she shrugs her shoulders, walking back toward the couch. I finally make my way over to Jake and sit at the breakfast bar with a smile. "Morning."

"Good morning." He sets a plate in front of me, scooping eggs onto it. "How did you sleep?"

"Wonderful, how about you?" I say before taking a bite.

"Pretty good considering the fact you were beside me the entire night."

Butterflies erupt inside my stomach. I push the food around on my plate, trying to stifle an enormous smile from appearing. "It was quite nice."

He grins, turning off the burner.

After we finish breakfast, we go for a walk. We don't have plans set in stone for today, we're playing it by ear. Ever since he got a phone call from one of his friends earlier telling him he has to come back tonight, we haven't left each other's side.

A weird feeling looms in the pit of my stomach, like why does he have to leave a day early? Especially when he wanted to stay longer. Although I have questions, I push them aside.

We sit in a little booth, and Jake stares out the window, watching all the people walk by while I look at him. Even though he slept well, the bags under his eyes are evident, and I can tell he is anxious.

That unsettling feeling from earlier causes my stomach to churn. "You alright?" I ask, catching him off guard. His attention redirects to me, his eyebrows raise, and his mouth falls open slightly.

"Yeah, I just have a big exam this Wednesday, I'm nervous."

"Which class?"

"It's my calculus class, I'll be fine though." He squeezes my hand.

The bell above the cafe door jingles and clamorous laughter sounds through the building. I lean out of the booth to get a better view, but the moment I see him, I wish I had never looked. Miles-mother-fucking-Cunningham just walked in with his friend Liam.

"Who's that? You look pissed," Jake questions, peering in the same direction.

I must've made a face, so I look away, sliding as far into the booth as I can so I'm not seen. "Miles Cunningham, he's an asshole." I never told Jake what happened freshman year, I was too embarrassed.