Chapter 20 | Just like Heaven

20

─── • ─── 

MILES

Bell looks at me with a delicate smile. "Yes, I'll be yours," she says.

My hand caressing her hair stops moving, and I can't keep the shit-eating grin from forming on my face. It takes all of my self-control not to lean in and kiss her. But I need her close. So, without saying a word, I gently sit her up and pull her as close as I can.

I tuck a stray hair behind her ear and whisper, "Really?"

I didn't think she'd agree so fast. I thought she would take days to think about it. Not that I'm upset she agreed so soon. I would've waited as long as I had to for her.

"Yes, really." She nudges me.

"I didn't guilt-trip you with my whole sad family talk, did I?" I ask nervously.

She laughs. "No, not at all."

"So now I'm allowed to show you off to everyone?"

She bites her lip to stifle a smile. "You don't have to go out of your way, but if you'd like."

I reach for her mouth, using my thumb to pull her lip out from between her teeth. She looks down at my hand, then back at me.

God, what is she doing to me? I wonder, looking into her beautiful brown eyes. She is changing me, that's what she is doing. More than I ever thought I could change.

"I would like to," I say. "Am I allowed to do this in front of people?" I take her hand in mine, interlocking our fingers.

"Yes," she breathes.

"And this?" I climb onto the couch, leaning toward her.

Steadily, I drag my fingers down her bare arm and watch her chest rise and fall in response. It feels good knowing I'm the one making her feel this way. I stop when I get to her hand, pick it up and place it on my back.

"Can I kiss you?" I ask. I watch her cheeks redden and she nods. Then I close the remaining space between us. Our lips lock, and a rush of relief floods my body, causing me to ball my fists. Before it gets too extreme, I pull away to see how she feels about it.

Her eyes are needy, and her hand doesn't hesitate to grasp the back of my neck, bringing my face back to hers. Our lips melt together again. I slide my fingers up and down her back and then settle over her bare skin below her neck.

The kiss reminds me of when you place the last puzzle piece into the final empty spot. Everything falls into place, and the picture comes into complete view. Then a wave of triumph washes over you, and you feel euphoric.

That's how I feel now. Euphoric because everything is falling into place.

Eagerly, I part her mouth with my tongue, which causes the faintest pleasure to escape her perfect lips. Oh, fuck.

I let my fingers trail down her neck, over her collarbone. Her eyes are blazing with a fire I've never seen. I slowly find the hem of her shirt and slip my hand underneath, taking in the softness of her stomach, but nothing more. My teasing touch causes her to close her eyes. It gives me a moment to smile.

She is so beautiful.

All the things I want to do with her, show her, but I need to take it slow. She is finally letting me in, and I don't want to betray her trust as I have in the past. This is a chance to redeem myself, and I want to make it as special as I can.