Chapter 22 | Getaway

22

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

I set my pencil down, completely relieved I've finished my midterms. The boys surprised Addy and me last night with news that made our break one hundred times better. We were told to pack our bags because we're headed to Hilton Head.

"We need to leave in ten minutes, or we will miss our flight!" Jasper shouts from the living room.

Addy and I rush around our apartment, trying to gather last-minute items to shove in our suitcases. When I think we have everything packed, the boys carry them to the car while Addy and I do one last sweep through the apartment, making sure all the lights and electrical appliances are off.

Once we've checked everything, we lock up and go to the car. "Are we ready to go?" Miles questions, gripping the steering wheel. We all answer yes and make our way to the airport.

Thankfully, going through security doesn't take long and we all sit by our boarding gate. A good ten minutes later, we hear a woman come over the speakers. "The flight from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Hilton Head, South Carolina is now boarding. Thank you for flying with PrimeFlow airlines."

"Here we go!" Addy squeals, picking up her carry-on and running to the line. Miles, Jasper, and I follow behind her, getting our tickets out.

Once the lady at the desk sees them, we board the plane and find our seats.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign. If you haven't already done so, please stow your carry-on luggage underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. Please take your seat and fasten your seat belt. And also make sure your seat back and folding trays are in their full upright position."

"I'm so excited, I love airplanes!" I squeal, hitting Miles' arm repeatedly until he shoots a glare. "Are you excited?"

He is clenching the armrests and pressing his head into the uncomfortable cushioned chair. "I'm excited to land."

"We haven't even taken off yet!" I sigh, gazing out of the window. "This will be worth it, don't you worry."

"I hope so," he mutters under his breath. I laugh, taking his hand in mine. He looks down at our embraced hands and smiles.

The flight attendant goes through the safety procedures and Miles watches intently, not missing one thing that comes out of her mouth. I swear I would've never guessed planes were his fear.

I was thinking more like a menstrual cycle or spider, not an airplane.

"Flight attendants prepare for take-off, please. Cabin crew, please take your seats for take-off."

Suddenly, Miles' body gently jerks forward and falls back into the seat. I look at him and like me, he looks confused. We stare at each other, waiting for the strange phenomenon to happen again. And it does.

With another thud, he jerks out of his seat and falls back. "What the hell?" he mutters under his breath, looking around to see what is causing it. I look around also and through the crack of his seat, I spot a little boy swinging his legs vigorously behind him.

I bite my lip, trying to suppress the laughter from spilling out. A little boy is kicking his seat. I say nothing, I just shrug my shoulders pretending I don't know what the problem is.

Thud, thud.

Miles groans loudly, twisting his body around as the plane gains speed. He spots the little boy and sighs. "Hi, can you stop kicking my seat? Thank you!"