Chapter 19 | Enough Flirting

19
─── • ───

ISABELLA

"I think it will be fun," Addy says as we sit in our designated booth at Rosie's. "But please keep me from drinking, I feel like shit." She massages her temples, trying to ease her headache.

I snort. "You didn't listen to a word I said last night! Putting alcohol in front of you is like putting a steak in front of a dog."

"Am I really that bad?" Her face scrunches up nervously as she sips her coffee.

"Yes, but at least you don't do it every weekend, only once in a while."

She shrugs her shoulders, shoving part of a blueberry muffin in her mouth. We went out for breakfast this morning for two reasons: one, Rosie's coffee is the best, and two, we have no food in the house.

Addy stumbled home this morning around nine, sober but queasy. I swear she has a stomach of steel. If I drank as much as she did, I'd be hungover for days. Thank gosh I didn't though, I have exams Monday and I can't afford to fail them.

"So, do you think tonight will be awkward?" Addy questions, still massaging her head.

I stare at the leftover coffee at the bottom of my cup. "Miles and I are fine now so it shouldn't be."

She sighs. "I know you're still upset Bell, you're my best friend for crying out loud." I stop stirring it and peer up at her. "Hey, you have every right to be but just remember that holding grudges doesn't do justice for anyone. I'm not siding with him by all means, but he thought he was protecting you. It wasn't like his intentions were bad, I just don't think he's ever been in a situation like this and it's overwhelming him."

I raise my eyebrows. "Wow, Addy, I'm impressed." She grins and flips her hair behind her shoulder. "But honestly thank you, I needed to hear that."

It's not like he cheated on me like Jake, he was just guilty for past actions. You'd think I'd be mad at the stuff he said about me, yeah at the time it hurt, but now I just don't seem to be affected by it. We cannot go back and change the past. We can only move forward from it.

"I'm going to run to the store, I think you should go home and get some sleep before we go to Miles'." I laugh as we walk out of Rosie's.

"Good idea."

When I get home from the store, I hastily unpack the groceries then rush to my room. I throw myself on my bed and try to relax before delving into my studies. We are spending the evening at Miles' apartment and I want to get some things done before we go.

I told Miles I'd bring dessert, so I bought strawberry cheesecake with vanilla ice cream. I remember him telling me it is his favorite.

After an hour or two rewriting my notes, I get a quick shower and get ready. Addy and I apply the last touches of our makeup and head out. Butterflies gather in my stomach as we walk up the flight of stairs; I'm nervous to see him but also really excited. I feel like tonight will be good for both of us.

"Here," I say to Addy as we approach his door. I knock three times and almost immediately it flies open, causing Addy and me to jump.

"Hey, guys. Come on in," Jasper says excitedly, stepping aside. I greet him with a quick hug, then I walk to the kitchen so Addy can go to town.

"Miles?" I question, walking through the living room to the kitchen.

"He's back in his room, Bell," Jasper says, catching me off guard as he and Addy walk into the kitchen. "He's on the phone with his dad. You should go back and check on him, it's the fourth door on the left."