Chapter 31 | Unexpected Visits

31

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

As we lie on our backs in bed while the morning sun streams in, Miles holds his hand above us, and I mimic him. He presses his palm to mine. "Your hands are so small. How do you play the piano?"

I snort. "I'm not sure, I just play. But I do have trouble barring chords on the guitar."

"Would you teach me how to play the guitar?"

"Of course," I say, glancing at his face resting on the pillow. His eyes are fixated on our connected hands raised above our heads. He traces each of my fingers, then brings them to his fingers and kisses each one.

But he's cut off from the urgent knocking on the front door. Both of our heads twist toward the sound. "Are you expecting anyone?" I ask.

He looks at me with the same amount of confusion. "No, I'm not. Maybe it's Addy?"

"She is busy today."

We both hastily get up and put clothes on. Once we're decent, Miles walks up to his front door diligently. He turns the doorknob, and in front of him stands his dad, who looks frightened. Miles stiffens at the sight of him. "Dad, what are you doing here? Are you okay?" Miles questions concernedly.

No, something is not okay.

Mr. Cunningham's eyes move from Miles to mine, then back to Miles. The second I looked into them, I saw nothing but pain. A pit grows in my stomach, telling me something is seriously wrong. I hope it's just a feeling.

"It's mom, isn't it?" Miles says out of the blue, his voice trailing off.

Oh, no.

Mr. Cunningham steps inside.

"I'll give you guys some space." I cast a weary smile and speed walk toward Miles' bedroom. I shut the door, knowing they need privacy, and perch myself on the bed. God, please don't let it be Miles' mom, that is going to destroy him.

I know how it feels to lose a parent; you can never fully recover from it. But if you get the right help, you learn to cope with it. When my dad passed, I thought my life was over because someone who made me was gone.

I thought about how I would never get to sing or play piano and guitar with him again... Or how he will never hold me and tell me everything was alright when one of my dolls broke.

How he would never give any of my boyfriends the "If you hurt my daughter" talk.

Or how he would never walk me down the aisle.

I let out a sigh and rest my head in my hands whilst my heart beats at a rapid pace. Suddenly, I hear shouting that sends my head upwards and then a loud crash follows. I jump up without hesitation and rush out of the room.

"Miles, son, please calm down!" Mr. Cunningham shouts as I dash down the hallway.

When I reach the opening to the living room, I am halted at the sight of Miles on his knees shaking. I look at the shattered glass around him and then see his dad kneeling next to him, holding his back.

I take a deep breath. " I'm sorry I don't mean to intrude, I just was just wor-"

Mr. Cunningham looks up at me, his cheeks stained with tears. "I'm sorry Isabella, this isn't a good time." He gives me a sad smile.