Chapter 34 | Questions

34

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

I awake to the sound of my phone ringing. Groaning with my eyes still shut, I reach over to the dresser and mute it. I know it's not Miles because he's right beside me. I smile at the thought and turn over, ready to see his face squished against the pillow.

But he's not here.

I swear this happens way too often. I lie down on my back with a sigh, ready for sleep to engulf me again, but it doesn't. Instead, I clamber out of bed to the bathroom. I definitely can't go downstairs looking like this since there are other people in the house.

After I'm finished brushing my teeth and hair, I change into something presentable and head down. I have to be back home by noon to prepare for tomorrow's clinical. I'm super excited, I get to start a lot more hands-on training. All this schoolwork finally feels like it's paying off.

"Good morning," I say to Marian, the maid, as I approach the kitchen. The news is playing on the little tv in the corner of the spotless room.

"Good morning, Ms. Gallagher," she greets me, setting the rag she was wiping the counter with down. "Would you like some coffee?"

"No, thank you." I smile. "Do you know where Miles is by any chance?" I ask, looking around the vacant house.

"He's at Cunningham Tech attending a meeting. Would you like me to phone the office for you?"

My heart sinks in my chest and my smile falters as quickly as it appeared. He left without telling me. He left me in this unfamiliar house, all alone. Why didn't he just tell me he had to go? He could've woken me up, or at least sent me a message.

Then it hits me. The phone calls this morning, that must've been him!

I internally smack my forehead. "Oh no, it's okay. I just have to get going soon and I wanted to say bye, I'll call him later." I force a smile onto my face and walk back up the stairs.

"You're so stupid, Bell," I whisper to myself as I check the caller ID, just to see it was Miles. I try calling back, but it goes straight to voicemail. Out of all places, why would he be there?

I gather my belongings as quickly as I can, say goodbye to Marian, then leave. I'm ready to get back home and for things to get back on track. Funerals are mentally and emotionally draining, especially when you watch the person you love grieving.

Half an hour later, I arrive back at my apartment and march up. Thankfully, when I push the door open, I see Addy is home.

"Hey," I say, setting my duffel bag down on the floor. She greets me as I plop down beside her on the couch. Out of habit, I lie down, resting my head in her lap, and she plays with my hair.

"How are you?" she asks, muting the tv.

I purse my lips together and think. I honestly don't know; I haven't thought about how I feel. "I'm not quite sure," I say.

"Is Miles doing okay?"

I shrug. "I wish I knew. He has been distant, which I completely understand. But he left this morning without telling me."

She cocks her head, confused. "What do you mean he left?"
"I think he went to work with his dad. He didn't bother telling me until after he had gone."