Chapter Thirty-One

"Wow, this place is nice," I say, taking in the room around me.

Margaret smiles at me, slowly walking over to me before looping her arm through mine. "Thanks, Alden."

"Happy to have a place of your own?" Finn says, setting down a box full of random stuff. It is not like any of us have too many personal belongings, and with this house already furnished, it is easy to move Margaret and Mary into this beach house.

"Oh yes," Margaret says, laughing in quiet delight. She seems a little winded from it though, so I help her over to the couch, setting her down before handing her a blanket that had been draped over the back. "Not that I don't love all of you, but I haven't lived on my own since college. It will be nice to have a space that I can call my home."

Nodding my head, I plop down on the other end of the couch, Finn sitting down next to me. "Trust me, I understand. I have lived with room mates my entire life. The only time I had a room to myself was when Anna went off to college."

Margaret seems to catch her breath, making it possible for her to direct us around the house, telling us where she wants things moved. She and Mary had been looking into moving out for a while now, and Alena had been talking to her boyfriend- who happens to be a guard and a doctor- about moving them into one of the empty houses.

This place is perfect. It isn't too far from the center of town but allows them to have their privacy. It is not too big, only two bedrooms and a bathroom, but they don't need more than that. The living room opens up to a balcony, allowing them to have a great view of the beach. The best part of the house, though, is the fact that it was a rental. There is not a chance that an owner may return, seeking to move into their home.

It is only after an hour of moving furniture that Margaret is satisfied and we are able to head out. Bending down, I give Margaret a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She swats me away with a laugh, remarking on how I need to take a shower.

Mary is climbing up the stairs when we clamber outside, hand tight on the rail as she pulls herself up. She just entered the third trimester at twenty-eight weeks, something that has Alena delighted and Mary even quieter than usual.

Apparently, she has not been having an easy pregnancy. Her blood pressure is up, a cause of concern, along with baby already dropping down. Alena had told her to relax more but seeing as she is just coming back from whatever she was doing, she has not been listening.

Immediately, concern and irritation flood through me. We know that she doesn't want the baby, but to completely disregard Alena's words is harmful to the both of them. Before I can say anything, Finn is already stepping towards her, helping her up the last few steps.

"What are you doing out?" he asks, voice soft, yet tight with barely masked frustration. "I thought Alena said you should be relaxing."

Mary just gives an aggravated huff but allows Finn to help her. "I just went to my appointment, that's all."

"I thought Alena said she would come over for the appointments?" I ask, following the two of them inside.

"I needed some air and to stretch my legs," Mary says.

Grinding my teeth, I force myself not to argue with her. It would be no use. She is just as stubborn as the rest of us, if not more. But I know this is tough for her, being pregnant when she does not want to be and having to deal with people constantly checking her over.

"Just take it easy, Mary." She pauses at my words, looking me over. "It is only for a few more months and then we will take the baby out of your hair."

She gives me a small nod, before walking into the house and closing the door behind her. Finn and I are left out on the porch, frustration and exhaustion shared between us.