Chapter Twenty-Five

Finn is the first one of us to snap out of our confusion, walking across the room to throw open the door. Delaney is standing there, eyes flicking between us and the hall way.

"You did all of this?" Finn says in greeting of the other man.

Delaney gives a swift nod of his head before gesturing for us to follow him. We each grab one of our packs, and I call Harry's name, the dog quickly coming to my side.

"We have to be quick. The beasts will be here any minute."

"The guards, they should slow them down at least a little bit."

Delaney shakes his head at my words, walking over to the stairs. "Nope. Slipped something in their water to slow them down a bit. The beasts should be able to take them out easily enough."

It is easy to hear the sounds of people in the hospital panicking, some doing the same as us and choosing to leave. Others, though, remain glued to the windows watching the scene below. We are just passing a familiar floor, when I grab Delaney's arm, making the man look up at me in confusion and irritation.

"Alena's on this floor."

He shakes his head, moving to start walking down the stairs again. "We don't have time. We have to go."

My hand tightens on his arm, making him look up at me sharply. "She's saved my life. I can't just leave her here."

He opens his mouth to argue, but Finn just shakes his head, already walking over to the door that leads to the floor. "I really wouldn't argue with him. He has an inherent need to save people."

A smile blossoms on my face at his words and I immediately follow after him. Delaney grumbles behind us but follows along anyways. I guess if he has already put in this much effort to get us out here, he isn't going to give up now.

Alena is already running around when we enter the floor, a look of relief coming over her face when she sees me. "Alden, thank god. Did you see what's going on out there? The beasts are going to actually make it inside this time."

Nodding my head, I follow behind her as she rushes into Margaret's room. "Yes, that's why we are getting out of here. Delaney knows the way. But we have to leave now."

She pauses for a moment her mouth slightly open in shock, before she snaps out of it and starts moving again. "I can't just leave my patients."

"Then bring them with!" Delaney yells, his voice filled with aggravation. He quickly makes his way over to the window in the room, a loud string of curses when he sees what is happening below. "We need to leave now. The beasts will reach the building in only a matter of minutes."

"It's alright, sweetheart," Margaret says, giving Alena a small smile. "You don't have to worry about me."

"Margaret..." Alena starts, looking at her in wide eyes.

"I can't survive out there anyways," the other woman says, grabbing Alena's hand and giving it a squeeze. "Not with my bad lungs."

"No."

That one word causes everyone in the room to freeze, eyes sliding over to the woman in the corner of the room. In the entire time I have been here, I have never heard Mary actually talk. Finn even looks surprised, and he has been around her the most. She doesn't say anything else, her one word getting her point across.

A loud boom can be heard outside, before the lights flicker and eventually go out. Delaney is the first to break the silence with a loudly exclaimed, "shit!" he looks back over at us, tearing his gaze from the window. "The beasts got the generators."