Chapter 20: A Board Game?

Look for the <> to listen to the song! It should be played as a background song. 

I laid on the couch a week later feeling terrible as my whole body ached and feeling sick to my stomach. The reaction to the last treatment was terrible, and I noticed my reactions were continuing to get worse. I wasn't sure how much longer I could stand them.

"Clare! someone is here for you!" Farrah said with a smile as she walked into the family room.

I frowned, not wanting anyone to visit when I was like this. I even had to cancel the date with Peter tonight because I knew I would be in no condition to leave this house, let alone couch when the time arrived.

"Hey stranger," Peter said as he moved out of the way of Farrah, caring flowers in his hands. "I thought I could drop these by."

I blushed as I pushed myself up to a sitting position on the couch in an attempt to look more presentable. I held back a gag as the movement made my stomach lurch. I wouldn't deny it, I was one lucky girl, that was for sure. "Thank you so much."

He walked over to me and gave me a small kiss as he handed me the flowers. "I know you said that you couldn't do anything, but are you up for a visit instead?"

Even though I was in no shape to have any interaction, I couldn't say no to him. I could at least tough it out for two hours while we watched a movie together. "I can do that. What did you have in mind?"

"A board game?" he asked me excitedly.

I chuckled at him, even though that was going to take more effort and energy that I had in my body. But his excited face was too cute to say no to. Sometimes he was the biggest kid around, as the simplest things got him so excited. I was jealous of that, honestly; I was jealous of a lot of aspects of Peter. "That sounds perfect."

"Great, because I brought my favorite one," he said and got up from the spot on the couch he was sitting on. "Now if we could get Farrah to join us that would be better."

I frowned at him, knowing that would be a nearly impossible task. Lately, I couldn't convince Farrah to do anything with me. She had been so distant from me and it made me worried she knew something that I didn't. Mainly, I just felt more lonely, wishing that she was around more often for me. "Good luck. She's glued to her phone recently, talking to that new boy of hers. I'm not sure if she'll want to play."

He nodded, then left the room in an attempt to convince her to join us. Within a minute, he came in with the board game and Farrah on his heels. "I convinced her," he said with a smile as he sat on the ground in front of the coffee table to get the game set up.

<>

I looked at him in shock, then over to Farrah, amazed that he could get her to come. I asked Farrah to do something with me for a few days, and she always told me no. She rather text than hang out with her own sister. I wouldn't lie, it was upsetting that she would pick him over me. "Ok, how do we play this game?"

I watched as Farrah turned on her music and turn it up on her phone so we could have some background music going. I recognized the song instantly; knowing that it was one of dad's favorites.

Peter pulled out the game from his bag with a smile and he moved his head to the music, enjoying the song. "So the game's called ticket to ride, and it's my ultimate favorite," he said and then dove into how to play the game with precision and within a few minutes, were neck deep into the game.

As we continued to play, we couldn't help but get competitive and enjoy our time. Even though my terrible side effects I still laughed, watching Farrah dance and Peter tell jokes. As Peter finished his turn with a story, it made me realize it had been far too long since we all could just have fun and distract ourselves from the heavier things.

It was nice to just focus on only the game because it was just that, a game. We normally never played board games, and I wasn't sure why because we all enjoyed playing them. It made me realize maybe I should get the family more into them since it was refreshing to interact with each other this way.

Farah took a bite of her apple pie and smiled at the cards in her hands. She looked at me then back at her cards silently, signaling that she was planning something against me but I was so close to winning, she couldn't do that do me. But then again, I knew Farrah, and I knew she would stop me just to spite me. "Oh, I like this song, Peter. Turn it up," Farah said as she laid down her cards so everyone could see her move.

"No, you can't do that! I need that spot!" I protested as Farrah laid some pieces on the board to block my train.

She shrugged at me. "Sorry Clare, but I need this spot too," she smiled as she put down her last piece.

I frowned at her, knowing that there was no way for me to win the game now. "Thanks, loads," I said sarcastically.

She smiled sweetly, saying nothing as she took another bite of pie. "Are you sure you don't want a piece, Peter?" she asked, changing the topic easily.

Peter shook his head as he placed his next move on the board. "Sorry, I'm on a new diet to get in shape for the rugby season. After all, games are starting up soon and I want to earn my spot."

I nodded as I remembered the encounter at the restaurant a week ago. He hadn't talked about his team since then, and I wondered how it was going. "How has the team been treating you?" I put down a few game pieces, blocking Farrah from where she was at.

She protested at me, but I just smiled at her, knowing that payback's a...

"I think some people on the team are seeing me as a member. But Robert, the one that arm-wrestled me, he's just a huge douche, and he has a lot of friends on the team. It's going to take a while to win them over."

"At least some people on the team see you as a member," I told him, trying to keep it positive. I had been trying to do that more lately in all aspects of life and I wasn't sure if it was working, but at least it made me happier.

"Yeah, at least that's the case. But I want all of them to see me as a member. I'm a skilful player, I could help take them to championships if they left me. Robert and his friend just do a good job at treating me like trash."

"It's because Robert's afraid that you will take his position. You heard the coach say that himself. Your turn," I reminded him.

"But there's only so much I can handle, you know? By the way, are you going to the opening game?" he asked both of us.

I couldn't believe that school was starting again. It felt like just yesterday that break was starting, but before we knew it, we would be swimming in homework. Summer was fading and soon fall would be here, and I didn't like that idea. At least I had something to look forward to this fall. This would be the first time that I would be a sport fan and I was excited to support Peter even though I did not know all the rules of Rugby. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

"I'm planning on being there myself," Farrah spoke up.

"With that boy, you have been talking to?" I asked her, trying not to have resentment in my voice. I should be happy that she's happy with him, but I was just bitter. If this boy made her happy, then I should be happy for her, right?

She shrugged casually, with a hint of a smile on her face. "Maybe. I want him to come. We will see."