Chapter one: Nothing I Loved More

Hiya! So throughout the chapters you may find a song that I picked out for a part of the chapter. How you will know when to listen to it is to look out for a bold <>.

I hope you enjoy the book and also the songs that I pick out!

Happy reads!

Darlah

The edge of the hospital bed I sat on was stiff and crinkly. The news I waited for was something I already knew and I didn't understand why we had to wait for it. The phone in my hands was supposed to distract me from my toxic thoughts although as I looked at social media it only caused bitter feelings to sore as I saw people's photos of traveling and just enjoying the summer break. Jealousy hit me like signing nettle, wishing to be doing that kind of fun stuff. Instead, I was stuck in this town, having no choice but to stay. I couldn't just pick up and leave on a whim like so many people I knew. Being in a town that was so small, everyone knew everyone, made sure that everyone knew I spent most of my time at the hospital.

"Clare what do you think about going to get ice cream after this?" mom asked me with a smile as she patted my leg, causing me to look up at my straight blonde haired mother. 

I gave her a small smile back, but I didn't force it to stay. She tried so hard to make the best out of things, but sometimes life just sucked and there was no amount of ice cream that could fix it.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Sure. I guess," I stated, then looked back at my phone as if it was more interesting. There was nothing exciting about my phone, there never was since I didn't have any friends. But the thing was, I wasn't in the mood to talk. In the silence of the clinical room, I could feel the start of a headache coming on. Like normal, I put my hand up to my head behind my right ear and pushed against my head, knowing that this would stop the sharp pains I was feeling.

On cue, the door swung open and walked in Doctor Patel, my doctor of the last two years. He gave a small smile and said, "Clare, how are you today?"

I looked at the tall thin man with dark brown skin and replied, "good."

A frown appeared on his thin lips, not liking what I told him. "Well, you're here, so that means that you're not that good."

His bluntness was like a slap to the face, a painful reminder of the reality I lived, but by now I was used to it. After all, I could be as blunt as him.

"We do this every time you come in, Clare, tell me what you're feeling." 

I put my hands on my hips, suddenly feeling very stubborn. If he was going to boss me around like that, I was not in the mood. "And you have to tell me what you found on my MRI."

His sigh was audible in the quiet small room the smelt like rubbing alcohol. 

"Clare," mom snapped, but I didn't care if I wasn't being polite. I didn't even acknowledge her outburst at me. She often disapproved of my actions. She always thought I was too sharp, not polite enough, not kind enough, so on, so forth but that's what happens when you get hardly any human interaction for the last few years.

Dr. Patel frowned at me again which forced me to hold back a smirk that wanted to come onto my face. I convinced myself that I was one of his most difficult patients.

"Well, I just looked at your MRI that you took this morning and I'm sorry, but it looks like nothing has changed. The cancer's still in your bones of your right arm and also in your chest."

Frowning at him, and I could hear mom take a sharp gasp, no doubt holding back tears. I don't know why I frowned, because I knew this was going to happen. Terrible luck followed me like a stalker in the night. So why would I even hope that things would get better when I knew they wouldn't. I couldn't win a bag of poop if they were giving it away for free.