Zeref looked at her, surprise written all over his face. "What do you mean?" 

"Do you remember that time when we first met, at this place?" Lucy said, looking at him with a smile. "That time, I was nothing but a living doll. I had nothing to live for. Even though I was a heavenly being, I had no friends, no family, no children, no master, and no lover. What was there to look forward to at the time? That was until I met you. With you there, colors returned back to my world and my dull eyes carried a sense of warmth and passion in them. Even now, I'm still grateful to you. If it weren't for you, I'd still be wandering the dimensions like a ghost." 

Zeref smiled, tears soon starting to form as he tried to laugh them off. "We two really changed, didn't we?" 

Lucy nodded. 

"Maybe these feelings first started out as gratefulness but I'm sure about it now," Zeref said, wiping away his tears as he got down onto one knee, pulling a ring out. 

Lucy looked at him, shock and speechlessness overcoming her as she put a hand over her mouth, tears dying to spill from the corner of her eyes. 

"I didn't get to say it before but...I'll say it now," Zeref said. "Lucy Heartfilia, you are the only person I will ever love and that will never change. Will you do me the honor of becoming my partner and lover?"

Lucy nodded her head before she muttered out a "yes". 

Zeref slid the ring onto her fourth finger, a bright light shining before it faded away, announcing their undying vow and contract to one another for the years to come. 

"Now, you're mine and mine only!" Zeref yelled happily, picking Lucy up by her knees and spinning her around, his cheeks red with joy.

Lucy laughed happily as tears of joy rolled down her cheeks. 

The two continued to stay atop the hill, playing around in excitement. It was obvious that the two loved one another but to say it openly to one another for the first time, it was an emotion they couldn't put into words. Soon, growing tired as the night continued to pass, Lucy slowly closed her eyes, falling into a deep sleep as she laid atop of Zeref. Brushing her golden bangs from her eyes, he gazed at her perfect beautiful face as her chest moved with each breath she took in. 

"I love you..." he muttered, moving away her bangs as he kissed her forehead. 

He moved away and heard Lucy softly mumble, "I love you, too, Zeref..." 

His eyes widened with surprise before replacing them with loving and tender eyes, his cheeks alight with a soft rosy color. He gently sat up, careful to not wake her, as he put an arm under Lucy's legs and another arm behind her back. He picked her up effortlessly, making his way down the hill. Before he did, he stopped to say something.

"It's not good to eavesdrop on others, you know," Zeref said. "I'm glad that I hid Lucy's sleeping face from you. Otherwise...who knows what you would've done." 

The guy behind the cherry blossom tree flinched a little at the dark and wrathful words of Zeref. Even from a distance, he was aware that he was wreathing with anger but was controlling it in order to not wake Lucy up. Seeing that the two were gone, he slowly made his way out from his hiding spot. His pastel pink hair blowing in the wind as his dark-colored eyes reflected sadness and longing in them. 

"Lucy..." he muttered as he sniffed in her scent, a mix of vanilla and strawberry, before walking back to where he had come from. 

Zeref was now walking down the streets that lead back to her inn, carrying her bridal style. She continued to sleep soundly against Zeref's chest. God, my heart's about to explode, he thought as his face heated up. Why is it so hot tonight?