Chapter Eighteen: New Feelings

"He loves me more!"

I sent Logan a sharp glare. He stiffened in my doorway, darting his eyes between where I sat on my bed and Bubbes laid on the floor in the corner of my room, the puppy's tail wiggling carefreely as he stuck out his tongue happily. 

I kept my voice low and menacing, "Don't even joke about that. Bubbes will forever look to me as his number one."

Logan pursed his lips, folded his arms and leaned against the door frame.

"Just for tonight."

My eyebrows drew down into a frown as I shook my head, "No!"

He groaned miserably, bending his head backward and letting his arms flop numbly to his sides, "He's so cute, though!" He threw his hands up, gesturing at Bubbes and then turned his gaze towards me pleadingly, "What's the harm?"

I raised an eyebrow, "He'll pee in your bed."

"Oh well."

My face went flat, "Logan."

"Kaylee."

I let out an exasperated breath and let myself fall onto my bed in defeat, the sudden movement making the mattress bounce under my weight. "Fine," I finally spat out.

Logan's face brightened and a large smile plastered his face, "Yes!" He quickly moved to Bubbes who willingly allowed Logan to bend down and scooped him up, "You get to sleep with me tonight!" He beamed as he brought Bubbes close to his chest and rocked him back and forth with a radiating smile.

I couldn't help but giggle at his sudden childish deminer. I could see now that having Bubbes around was good for the both of us, allowing us to forget about the stress of school, drama and just life in general and instead enjoy the simple company of the little puppy.

Logan began marching to leave my room with Bubbes merrily.

"Only for tonight!" I reminded, shouting after him.

He waved a hand over his shoulder, "Yep."

I quickly pushed myself up to sit straight, "And make sure mom doesn't see him!"

But he had already made it to his room and closed the door, disappearing from my sight. I rolled my eyes and plopped back down onto my bed as I let out a huff. I needed to think of a way to convince my mom to let me keep Bubbes. I was already in love with him, and so was Logan! There was no way she would be able to withstand the power of Bubbes adorable face and sad puppy-dog-eyes. Getting rid of him wasn't an option. 

I sucked in a shocked breath and sat up as an idea popped into my head. My birthday! Maybe I could persuade her to let me keep him as an early present? I mean, It was coming up... in about 4 months.

I shook the idea out of my head and fell backward onto my bed. My birthday was way too far away. What about guilt tripping her? I had thought about doing it before when I first met Bubbes and considered taking him home. I would feel guilty myself for doing it, but it had to be done! I couldn't allow Bubbes to be taken away from me. Maybe—

My thoughts were interrupted by my repeatedly vibrating phone. Frowning, I shimmied over to my nightstand and grabbed my phone, holding it close to my face to see who was calling. Despite how I wanted to feel, my stomach clenched with nerves and I found a grin threatening to tug at the corner of my lips as I lifted the phone to my ear.

I sighed into the phone, trying to seem bored and keeping my tone sounding uninterested, "What do you want?"

I heard a light, muffled chuckle, "Is that a thank you, sugar lips? Because if so, you're welcome beautiful."