Chapter Seventeen: New Family Member

I could pretty much kiss goodbye to any possible chance I had with Austin Hayes.

Ever since the unspeakable incident that happened last Saturday at the ice cream shop, he's conveniently moved several seats— to the opposite side of the room. A safe distance away from me.

At least he had the decency to come up with a lie and tell me he needed to move to help some kid named Jacob with his English homework.

Yeah. Right.

"So, you're finally admitting that you like him?"

My eyes widened in surprise, and I quickly shook my head, awakening myself from my thoughts about Austin, and bringing myself back to the present. I turned in Lily's passenger seat to look at her fully.

"What?" I croaked out.

Lily glanced over at me with a knowing look. 

"Chase. With this bet."

I felt my face reddening. "What are you talking about? The bet doesn't mean I'm admitting to liking him."

Lily kept her eyes on the road, but I watched as a grin tugged at the corner of her lips and an eyebrow raised, "But you still like him."

I sucked in a shocked breath, "I do not!"

Lily rolled her eyes, "Then why do the bet?"

My face deepened in color, "To prove..."

She cut in, "To prove what? That you want him to kiss you?"

I pursed my lips, thinking for a moment. Lily glanced over at me, her eyes sparkling as if she caught me in a lie. I let out a loud huff,

"No!" I tried to make sense of everything, "I win when he kisses me—"

"Exactly." She grins knowingly, "So you want him to kiss you first, but that still means you want to kiss him."

I groaned and slumped in my seat, bringing a hand to my head and rubbing my forehead, "Lily—"

"You know I'm right," She insists merrily in a sing-song voice, as she pulls up to my house and shifts the car into park.

I sent her a glare and grumble under my breath, "I know nothing."

She lets out a chuckle, "Sureee."

I huffed and sat upright, looking at her pleadingly for her to believe me, "I really don't!"

She turns to fully face me, bending her head to the side, and draws her eyebrows down as if concerned. But I can see the clear amusement flashing behind her eyes, "Uh-huh," she pouts her lips mockingly.

I groaned, "Fine!" I throw my arms up in exasperation as I roughly unbuckle my seatbelt and step outside, then lean back down to send her one last glare, "There will be no kissing between either of us!"

I slam the door but can still hear her laughing as I storm up to my house, my fists clench. I hear her roll down the window and yell before driving off,

"Have fun making out with Chase Chandler!"

My eyes widened and I quickly spun around, ready to rip her head off, but she sped off and drove away. As soon as she turned down the corner and disappeared, I whipped my head around to make sure no one was around to hear her, and thankfully, spot no one. I let out a sigh of relief. 

Freaking hell! Why did she always have to be so loud? 

Sighing, I turn and start to make my way up to my house, my shoulders slumping downward.