Chapter Six: Why So Hostile?

For the rest of the car ride I argued with Chase in not allowing him to drive me home. Honestly, I wasn't so sure if it was a good idea for him to know where I lived. But he insisted and threatened me again with that stupid picture, and I didn't really want to deal with the hassle of finding a ride anyway.

My mind wandered off to the idea of what would happen if that picture was made public. Would it really be that bad?

The image of my shocked driven face and grip firmly clutching hold to Logan's grimy underwear flashed through my mind, and I shuddered at the idea of anyone else being able to see that photo. Why did Chase, of all people, have to be there during that fraction of a moment?

I seriously had the worst luck.

Maybe people wouldn't actually care? Believe me when I told them it was just a misunderstanding?

I shook away the idea. I knew that wouldn't be how it all played out. If that picture of me got leaked I would never be able to hear the end of it. My life would consist of constant teasing and people thinking the worst of me. Especially if it came from Chase. Everyone would believe whatever Chase had to say about it.

Why was high school so cruel? Why couldn't people just give me the benefit of the doubt?

We finally reached the front of my small house and I was suddenly pulled away from my thoughts.

"This it?" Chase asked.

"Yes," I mumbled.

"Oh, don't look so down," Chase wiggled his eyebrows, "I'll be seeing you again soon," He grew closer to me and whispered, "Sugar lips."

Fed up with the annoying flirting, I huffed out a loud sigh and quickly opened the door to step out. "Trust me," I tried to add some edge to my voice, "I'll be savoring every moment I get to spend away from you."

Despite my efforts, this only made Chase laugh. Agitated, I mutter a quick thanks for the ride and shut the door a little harder than necessary. I started making my way up the paved walkway to the front door, and once I reached it I noticed I could still hear Chase's car engine behind me. I turned around and found him gazing back at me. I narrowed my eyes at him. Why was he just sitting there?

He rolled down his car's window but before he could say anything I yelled, "Stop being a creeper!"

This only made him smirk, "I just wanted to make sure you got in okay."

My face dropped in surprise. I wasn't expecting him to say that. "Oh." Was all I could say, and feeling my cheeks start to deepen in color, I quickly spun back around, unlocked the door, and slid inside. Immediately I closed the door firmly behind me and listened intently until I heard Chase's car drive off.

I closed my eyes and sighed as I leaned against the door. Would I really be able to handle dealing with Chase? He was a combination of infuriating and annoying and was honestly impossible to put up with.

"Tough day?"

My eyes snapped open and I was pleasantly surprised to see my mom gazing at me with a raised eyebrow. Her eyes were a mirrored reflection of mine— dark blue. She had passed down the eye color to me and Logan as well as her light brown hair, which she had chopped clean and short to just above her shoulders.

I relaxed and slightly slouched against the door, "You're home," I smiled.

She smiled warmly back as she started making her way through the small living room and towards the kitchen, "They changed my schedule, so I'll be working fewer night shifts."

I followed her and as we entered the kitchen, and I was met with the delicious scent of food cooking.

"And you're making dinner?" I spoke eagerly. With her picking up so many night shifts at the hospital, I had picked up a steady healthy diet of roman noodles and pop-tarts. The thought of a full home cooked meal made my mouth water and stomach grumble.