Prologue

Julia's POV:

The pandemic goes by many names: "The Crisis", "The End" and "The Walking Plague", just to mention a few.

No one knows how the pandemic was created, only that it originated in a remote village in China and spread across international borders quicker than the Black Death.

Within a few weeks from the outbreak, the unknown virus had spread worldwide, leaving only a select few survivors behind. The entire world was infested with walking dead people who were desperately hungry for human flesh.

I, Julia Piper, am one of the selected few that is still alive. Along with my older brother, Jason, and his best friend, JD, I escaped the hoards of infected people. For weeks we struggled and fought alone, until we met and united with other survivors to create a stronger army against the living dead.

We are now a group of twelve people, desperately clawing on to whatever life is left for us to live. Every day we face the horrors of the pandemic's aftermath and every day we fight off the walking dead, commonly known as zombies.

Living as a small group of survivors in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, we face great dilemmas as we struggle to maintain our humanity during day-to-day challenges of surviving in a hostile world. We battle the zombie hoards, cope with casualties and deal with other predatory human survivors.

We have met other survivors on our way, but are mostly met with hostility from the scattered remains of a struggling human populace who are focused on their own survival now that society's structures have collapsed.

I have no parents and I have no permanent home, but don't they say that home is where the heart is? My heart is with my brother and with the small group of survivors I have united with, and our sole purpose in life is to search for a cure to survive the pandemic.