part forty five

_
may was the bearer of shitty realisations.

harry and hermione were hanging out together—as they used to, but ron wasn't there with them—when hermione laid it out for harry.

"they're throwing him into azkaban for life," she said, watching as Harry's eyes widened. "they don't think he's worth saving, harry. but i know he is. you agree with me don't you?"

harry nodded slowly. "well, i don't know him as well as you do but i know he's been making the best of the shitty situations he's thrown in to."

hermione nodded rapidly. "exactly! that's all he's been doing—especially during the war—"

"what do you mean, during the war?" harry asked suspiciously, cutting her off.

hermione realised then that she hadn't told harry of draco's role so she got to talking.

by the time she was done, harry was speechless. "i didn't expect that," he murmured, staring off into the distance. "and kingsley doesn't know about it?"

hermione shook her head. "no."

"you should tell him!" harry exclaimed, shaking her by the shoulders. "that'll be his ticket out of azkaban!"

hermione sighed. "that's what i've been telling draco, harry. if draco did use that excuse, so much of him that he's held back would be out in the open. he has demons no one can know about."

"no one but you?"

"i'm afraid that i don't know them all."

harry shook his head vehemently. "he has to tell kingsley. if not him, then you."

hermione frowned.

_
draco was reading a book when she stormed into their dorms.

she dropped her bag carelessly and pulled the book out of his hand, dogeared the page then threw it on the other settee. draco raised an eyebrow at her while she crossed her arms.

"you have to tell kingsley," hermione all but shouted. "you have to."

draco huffed. "so that's what all this is about," he drawled, standing up. "and no, no i won't."

"why the fuck not!" hermione screamed, shaking him. "give me one good reason why!"

draco pushed her hands off of him. "you've heard enough! i've told you pretty much everything—"

"so there is something you haven't told me?" hermione gasped, grabbing his hand. "draco, stop. you know i won't judge you. please, i can't let you go to azkaban."

draco ripped his hand out of her grip. "no," he hissed, stalking to his room. hermione followed him of course.

"it's that bad, huh?" hermione said a little tauntingly, stomping up the stairs. "you've told me you've killed your brother, best friend, friend and aunt. that you've watched friends and people in general die. that you've been abused the majority of your life and yet you can't tell me this?"

"it's different!" he shouted, pushing the door to his room open. he slammed it closed a second later and when hermione went to push it open it wouldn't budge.

she scoffed and pulled out her wand. after muttering the spell she tried to push the door open again but it wouldn't budge. was he sitting in front of it?

hermione sighed and slipped down the door, her back resting against it. fine. if this is how he's going to act then hermione'll just wait for him to mature the fuck up.

"i'm not leaving, you know," she called through the door, her head tilting back. "i won't ever."

"i don't care," he called back, voice closer than she thought. maybe he was leaning against the door too.

hermione internally chuckled. how cliché, right? the door is the only thing separating them. it'd be cuter if they were in love.

"why'd you care anyway?" draco asked, his voice slightly muffled. "and don't give me the bullshit 'we're friends' speech."

"you think you're so far gone you don't deserve to be cared for?" hermione asked instead of answering.

"i've done a lot of shit," he said. "some of them just to save myself. you call that heroic?"

"try me," hermione challenged.

draco was silent for so long hermione thought he fell asleep. she was about to get up when he spoke. "fifth year, easter holidays."

hermione leaned back against the door. "that's when your dad committed suicide, right?"

"no. that's when i killed him."

hermione's breath caught in her throat. what? lucius malfoy didn't kill himself—draco killed him? hermione could justify draco's brothers death, the death of his friend, the death of his best friend and the death of his aunt. but his dad?

"i used a time-turner so they couldn't put he blame onto me," draco said through the door. he was far too casual about the whole thing hermione wondered if he was a sociopath, although that'd be ridiculous. "went to adrian's during the day, got back well into the night, used the time-turner and laced lucius' whiskey with poison. it was quick."

so many questions were running through her head. why'd he do it? how'd he get away with it? where'd he get the time-turner? does he regret it?

"i..." hermione murmured, trailing off. "uh..."

"i did it because if i didn't, he'd ruin me more than i already am," draco continued. "you think i'm fucked up right now? imagine if the abuse carried on. it was in my best interest if he died."

'in my best interest'? what was this, a fucking business proposal? he's talking about his fathers death so flippantly hermione didn't have time to breath. or think.

"i don't regret it too," he added softly. "the world is a better place with one less fucked up malfoy."

"that's not true," hermione finally whispered as she heard—and felt—draco move away from the door. "just because you're different doesn't mean you're a fuck up."

she didn't get a response but hermione didn't end it there. she stood up, pushed the door open and walked straight into his arms.

he hugged her back this time.

——————————

hello i'm back with another bombshell.

for real though, how many of you expected that? i don't feel as if i've been subtle enough but hey if that's a surprise then pat on the fucking back to me yay.

anyway, still just a little more to come. thank you for commenting and voting!

-bee.