part twelve

_
harry didn't expect draco to grab his hand, let alone hold onto it until they reached the quidditch pitch.

in all honesty, draco malfoy was the type of person harry never saw himself associating with—hell, he didn't know people as troubled as draco malfoy existed until first year. or, second year to be precise.

draco pretty much ignored them throughout first year. it was second year when it all started—with the basilisk and the chamber of secrets and the deaths of muggleborns, they automatically pointed a finger towards draco because of ron's words—that the malfoy's were obviously the descendants of slytherin and that it would definitely be draco. of course it wasn't, but it got the three of them, harry mostly, to treat the blonde harshly.

they picked fights with him and tried to say things that'd hurt but it never worked, he was too... strong, harry guessed. even when harry and the rest of the gryffindors questioned malfoy and his ability to be the youngest chaser in slytherin. the only time draco fought back was after the slytherin vs gryffindor match, when slytherin had won.

harry remembered that day. he had made some jabs about draco's family—or lack thereof which was pretty hypocritical considering harry's own family was dead. then he started saying shit about draco's friends and how they'll leave him. just terrible shit only a twelve year old can say without feeling terribly remorseful of because they didn't know the entirety of what they said actually meant.

and draco snapped. he had broke away from the celebration and had punched harry in the face. they'd fought until harry was on his back and his eye was swelling and his nose was bleeding but draco's own lip was too. the only reason they broke apart was because another slytherin pulled draco off of harry—a dark haired slytherin with blue-green eyes and pale skin. adrian pricey, harry thought his name was.

things started off rocky between them because of harry and ron. hermione went along with it but harry had known she didn't approve so it didn't surprise him when hermione wanted to get to know draco better. it's clear he's all alone right now but what wasn't clear was if it bothered him or not.

"oh my merlin! this is huge!" draco gasped when they were inside the quidditch pitch. "i mean, the one at the manor is big too but there's no stands like this."

"well, have you rode a proper broom like this one?" harry pointed at his firebolt.

draco's eyes widened but he shook his head. "i'm six harry. the only broom i've been on are toddler ones and they only go about two, three feet up in the air."

harry stepped over his broom and grinned at draco. "well, this is your lucky day. hop on in front of me and don't let go otherwise hermione will have my head."

draco grinned—and harry noticed how fucking young he looked. older draco should smile more often. the small blonde jumped on in front of harry and held on tightly.

they zoomed around the air for a while—whether it be ten minutes or an hour. by the time they planted their feet on the floor next to crookshanks draco was smiling wider than harry had ever seen.

"that was so much fun!" draco exclaimed, picking up crookshanks. he hugged the cat to his chest and grinned up at harry, squinting through the autumn sun. "can we do it again?"

harry chuckled and nodded. "yeah, sure. not now though. we should head back to the dorms."

draco nodded and followed behind harry. it was a quiet walk back but harry felt as if he finally achieved something—he was getting somewhere with draco. maybe, one day, he can finally atone for the shit he done. there was shit draco had done too—not just because of harry—but harry did hope that draco had an explanation for it. if not, well, he was already on the road to forgiving the blonde.

"what did hermione mean when she said she had a surprise?" draco asked casually on their way back.

"well, she thought she could—" harry started before cutting himself off when he realised what he was going to say. "shit, you heard that?"

draco nodded as he stroked crookshanks with one hand while he held the cat with the other arm. "i have good hearing."

harry nearly stopped dead in his tracks. "how much did you hear?"

"just that's there was a surprise," draco said as they climbed the stairs. "i guess you're not going to tell me?"

harry shook his head. "you'll see when we get there."

they walked in silence from then on. when they reached the portrait of the two snakes harry said the password clearly. the portrait opened and hermione stood there with her hands clasped behind her back.

"hey guys," she said cheerfully. "have a good time?"

draco and harry nodded. "it was so much fun!" draco exclaimed. "if father had seen me—"

"no talk about that," hermione cut him off before draco became a recluse. "i have a surprise for you, draco."

draco nodded and squeezed past harry. the second his eyes rested on the black piano at the opposite end of the room, his face lit up. "did you...?"

hermione nodded. "yes. i told harry to distract you and while you two were gone, well, you can see."

draco didn't hug her—he may have loosened up somewhat that didn't mean he was open for affectionate 'hands on the shoulder' or hugs. the hand-holding was probably a one time thing, harry noted.

draco breezed past hermione and carefully placed crooks onto three settee before he made his was way to the piano. harry and hermione both watched as draco familiarised himself with the piano before he started playing. it wasn't an overly long piece—it wasn't even that difficult but it was more than what hermione could do at her current age. harry could tell she couldn't wait until draco was his adult self just so she could hear him play. if he were honest himself, he wanted to hear adult draco play too.

draco spun around when he finished. "thank you," he said quietly, so quietly that they almost didn't hear him.

harry watched as hermione smiled softly once again. "it's no problem. now don't let us stop you—keep playing."

draco nodded and turned around. he started playing another piece but it was obvious he was new with it because every so often he would press a key that would be too out of tune.

however it didn't matter to either of them. they cracked on with the scrapbook, hermione enlarging the notebook to a decent scrapbook size while harry duplicated the current photos they had, putting the originals and the copies in two separate piles.

"you think he won't burn this when he's eighteen again?" harry asked quietly.

hermione shrugged. "don't worry. i've placed charms against that."

harry chuckled.

——————————

aww what a happy part isn't this cute. don't get used to it (:

[the begging of the part was fucking filled with innuendos omf if you have a dirty mind like myself then you will understand]

jk so next part it... idek man some angst probs i need to make due of the trigger warning i placed in the first a/n [if you haven't read that then you should go back and read it just in case]

anyway... ta if you're still reading this because it's Absolute Trash™ ((((:

-bee