part thirty six

_
a couple days before harry was due to change back, hermione and draco decided to have a picnic. well, hermione decided and she dragged draco along with her promising that he could drink the night away without any disruptions later. harry trailed along ahead of them, his hands clutching a monkey teddy bear. hermione had bought it for him during a trip to hogsmeade.

"is this necessary?" draco grumbled, his usual party-pooping self swaying the picnic basket in his hand. "it's not even a nice day out! it's probably going to rain later."

"we have magic," hermione reminded him, feeling awfully weird while at it. needing to remind the pureblood wizard of the existence of magic? unbelievable!

"and we can't control mother nature," draco muttered, tilting his head back so he could stare up at the grey, cloudy sky. "we might as well have this bullshit picnic in the astronomy tower."

"we're having this picnic, draco," hermione said sternly, stopping. she laid the blanket on the floor in front of her then called harry back over. "come on, let's get settled down so i can cast some charms to keep us alive."

harry giggled at the joke while draco just rolled his eyes, both of them settling down on the large blanket. hermione continued to cast some privacy and heating charms around them until she was sure they wouldn't freeze to death. once she done that, she sat down opposite the two and clapped her hands.

"lets eat and chat!" she said excitedly, pulling the basket over to her. hermione handed out small plates and disposable glasses then proceeded to pull out sandwiches, biscuits and other light snacks from the basket, placing them in the middle of the blanket.

"i still don't see the point in this," draco grumbled, filling his glass up with pumpkin juice. "we could be watching some films right about now and eating anything we want."

harry nodded along. "but this is fun!"

hermione smiled. "yes, this is fun! stop being such a debbie-downer, draco. lighten up a little."

draco rolled his eyes and piled his small plate with different snacks, although he took a particular liking to the cherry bakewells. they were the sweetest snacks there and hermione knew of draco's abnormally large sweet tooth, so it didn't surprise her that much.

harry started to ramble on about random things. "i love it here! it's so much better here. i don't like my aunt and uncle and cousin. they're mean. they make some sleep under the stairs! here i have my own room and bed and i have friends and i eat proper food and it's so much fun! do you like ginny? i think she's very pretty but i won't kiss her because i might get girl-germs. these sandwiches are so nice!"

draco stared at harry with something akin to horror. he turned to hermione, leaned close and whispered, "have i ever told you that i fucking hate kids?"

hermione covered up her laugh with a affronted gasp and slapped draco's arm, quickly darting her eyes to harry. the six-year-old was too busy scarfing down custard creams to notice anything around him.

"you hate everything and everyone, draco," she teased, munching on a sandwich. "it doesn't come as a surprise that you hate kids too."

"i don't hate everyone," draco scoffed, finishing off the last cherry bakewell hermione had packed. "i hate almost everyone."

"same difference," she said, smiling at him. hermione had actually planned this picnic because draco had seemed pretty under the weather lately and harry—adorable harry—had been bored out of his mind as he couldn't go visit ginny. she didn't have anything better to do so why not right?

"you're smiling a lot today," draco noted, picking up a chocolate digestive. he stared at it oddly before taking a large bite out of it. once he swallowed that piece and washed it down with juice he spoke again. "it's pretty unnerving, to be honest."

hermione rolled her eyes. "must you always be such a arse?"

he winked at her. "who's cursing in front of a child now, huh?"

hermione grumbled nastily under her breath but she didn't mean any of it. when draco shot her a quick, almost undetectable smile she almost jumped up in relief. he's becoming even more comfortable in her presence!

"you know," hermione started, shuffling a little closer to draco. "i have some horror films we can watch tonight when harry's sleeping. very scary, they are. some slashers too."

"what's a slasher?" draco asked, trying his best to nick a custard cream off harry. however harry held on strong and kept on moving his plate just out of arms reach whenever draco got close enough. hermione knew that draco could have used magic, or even stretched closer, but harry was smiling and draco had a hint of one on his face too.

"very gory horror films filled with—" hermione cut herself off, remembering harry. "i'll explain it later."

draco had managed to snag a biscuit off the plate and was chuckling at harry's annoyed expression. suddenly harry tackled draco and the two fought over the lone custard cream even though there was still half a plate of them left. however harry came up victorious as he held the biscuit high in the air for dramatics then quickly shoved the whole thing in his mouth.

"you're not allowed any," harry taunted almost incoherently, shuffling back over to protect his plate. "they're mine! you are all the cherry bakewells, i get all the custard creams!"

"you're just jealous," draco hissed jokingly, pulling the entire plate of chocolate bourbons in front of him.

"why would harry be jealous of you?"

draco shot hermione a smirk. "it's because i'm taller than him. and you."

"and everyone else just about everywhere," hermione snorted, reaching over to grab a bourbon. however draco pulled the plate directly on his lap, just out of her reach. "draco, stop being a prat."

"princess, you're such a bad influence! there's a child right there." draco pointed to harry, who had managed to scarf down the majority of the remaining custard creams. right now he was pulling them apart, eating the cream inside then chucking the two biscuit pieces in draco's direction.

draco dodged them and did the same with the chocolate bourbons, throwing the remaining two biscuits at harry once the chocolate middle was gone.

"i'm not the bad influence—it's you!" hermione exclaimed, trying to stop harry. "and that's disgusting, harry! if you don't want it set it aside on your plate!"

harry didn't listen and he threw the biscuits at draco again. this time they hit draco's chest, rolling down so they rested on his thighs. draco scrunched his nose up in disgust and wiped away the two soggy pieces with a tissue.

"you're fucking mannerless, potter," draco grumbled, using the tissue to wipe off some crumbs.

hermione slapped draco upside the head but laughed anyway. she has never seen draco so carefree as he is right now and even though she doesn't approve of how shamelessly he threw around cuss words in front of kids she didn't want the day to end quite yet. so hermione put up with it if it meant that draco would keep smiling the way he is right now.

——————————

hello don't kill me

okay so basically i had no fucking idea on what to write in this chapter so it's now cute and fluffy bc ik i've been throwing a lot of shit storms recently and this is a break from that. next chapter we go back to the worrying (probably lmao)

anyway hopefully next chapter will be up soon, although i'm not sure if it'll be up weekdays next week. like i have so much work i haven't done so yeah school starts up again and i need to get shit done lmao.

thanks for reading!

-bee.