Chapter 18

Your P.O.V

I wake up with a start, beads of sweat dripping down my forehead. I place a hand to my temple and try to soothe the throbbing. The room starts spinning as I recall the terrible vision I had just experienced. Did I really have only two weeks left till I became basically non-existent? The thought sends me over the side of the bed and onto the wooden floor. I scrunch up and place my hand on my mouth, trying to stifle any sharp sobs as the reality of my situation sets in.

Tears fall to the floor as I curl up in a ball. The pressure is on for me to choose, now! Of course that witch wouldn't let me take my time in choosing, Koko knew this would happen! I love Jack...Mark....? I groan in frustration and bring my hand to my mouth again, ready to bite my fingernails out of habit. I know I should stop eventually, but I've been doing it for years. As I am about to start on my first finger, I stop, shocked at what I see. The substance that looked like the universe in my dream somehow transferred into real life. So now I have space goo on my hand.

I jump up and try to rub it off with my covers. Nothing. I rush to the desk and grab the cup of water I left there and dab a sock into it, then proceed to scrub my hand vigorously. Zip. Nada. Goose eggs. Great. This is just perfect! I need to hide this...glove, I need a glove. I start digging through the drawers, trying to find at least one glove, when I hear a knock at the door.

"Gecko? Are you in here? I thought we could start the play through now, if you want. I asked Jack if we could raid his cookie jar. So don't panic if I have a black eye."

I laugh through my panic at his statement. "Okay, I'll be out in a sec!" I rummage around a bit more when I finally find a glove that won't seem too suspicious. I pull it on as quickly as I can. Just in time too, because Mark decided to open the door. God, I hope I don't look too bad from crying.

"Hey Gecko, are you okay? You didn't sound like yourself, so- Omg have you been crying?!" Mark hurries over to my side and grabs my shoulders loosely as not to hurt me. I put on my fake smile and look at him.

"I'm fine Mark. I just got some dust in my eyes after shifting the boxes around. I'm really sensitive to dust. I'm surprised you didn't hear me coughing! It was so bad! Anyway, I'm ready to play Octodad now, so let's go ahead and-"

"You're a terrible liar, you know that, right?"

Mark raises and eyebrow and gives me a concerned look. I guess I've never been the best at lying, but I genuinely thought I was getting better, especially with that smooth lie. "Was it that bad," I ask sheepishly. He smiles a little and lets out a strained chuckle.

"Gotta be honest, yes it was. Now," he says as he sits down on the floor with his back against the bed, "tell Ol Markimoo what's bothering you."

I sigh and sit down next to him, running my gloved fingers through my hair. "I don't know what to do about all this, Mark. With Jack, with you, with, like, everything! I want to get rid of this curse, believe me, now more than anything. But with a second choice in the picture, I'm not sure what to think, or what to feel."

"No one knows how to feel," interjects Mark, "you just feel. No one can explain feelings to you or tell you how to feel about certain people. That's something you have to discover and form all on your own. Your life is your own, it's not some pre-written story...you write it as you go along."

I feel myself start to blush. "Wow Mark, that was really profound." He looks at me and smiles softly.

"Yeah, great words, huh? Jack told them to me a while ago when I was feeling down about where my life should go. He made me realize that I should make my life go where I want it to, not where others think it should go."

"Wow, that's...really something," I reply softly. It always seems to come back around to Jack, no matter what the subject may be. Come to think of it, we haven't spent that much time together since Mark showed up. In these past few days, we haven't had any real conversation or alone time, and yet...in terms of soul mate, he is the first person I think of. And look at what he's done for me already! In the course of only a few days, he has let me live with him, let me borrow some of his clothes, bought me my own clothes, went back to Sammi's house to get my things for me, and basically been a complete sweetheart to me ever since the moment we met.

And what have I done for him? I've given him nothing but trouble ever since that moment we touched hands. He basically put his whole life on hold for a day or two just to help me sort things out with living conditions. And the whole curse thing now hanging over all our heads just adds to the misery I've thrown at him. My eyes start blurring up as more and more treacherous thoughts cross my mind. I am a terrible person! "I don't deserve his love," I whisper sadly.

Mark hears me and sees me crying. He wipes away my tears and holds me close to him, rocking me back and forth in order to calm me down. "Don't say that, Gecko... that's not true and you know it."

We stay like that for a few more minutes. When I finally have dried eyes again, Mark helps us both up off the floor and turns my body so that we are facing each other. He smiles at me and I find myself smiling back.

"You really do love Jack, don't you (y/n)?"

I blush when I hear his statement. "...Let's just go ahead and play the game, Mark." As we walked out of the room towards the gaming room, I realized that I meant that in more ways than one.

A/N- Please don't kill me!