Chapter 17

Your P.O.V

I can't believe that I didn't see that coming. Mark persuaded me to go on a sort of date with him! I'm so stupid! I let out a sigh and head for my room to think things over. Once inside, I flop down on my bed and cover my face with my pillow. What was I thinking? Well, the best thing I should do right now is get some sleep before tonight. If we are going to be staying up late, I don't want to fall asleep while in the middle of the game.

I turn on my side and pull the covers up to my chin. I reach for the lamp and switch it off, eager to fall asleep and forget about everything for a few brief moments.

Suddenly, I am drifting, unaware of where I am going. It feels like I am flying but instead of birds, I see dolphins swimming all around me. A whole pod swimming freely and I am right in the middle. A calming sensation flows through my veins and I swim alongside the pod laughing like I haven't a care in the world. After a while, my mind wanders back to my predicament waiting for me when I wake up. That's when I start sinking. I can feel it first, and then I can see the dolphins slowly start drifting upward. I try to float back up to them; I thrash my arms sporadically but to no avail. I continue to sink.

Suddenly, two dolphins break away from the group and swim towards me. The sea-green one reaches me first. It moves under my arm and starts swimming back up to the pod with me in tow. Then the other one grabs my shirt sleeve and tugs me off of the first one. And...is it my imagination or is this one slightly pink in color. The pink one starts dragging me in the same direction, but a lot faster. The green one catches up and grabs my other shirt sleeve in its mouth and tugs. The pink one doesn't like this and tries to bat at the other one with his tail.

Soon it is an all out tug of war between these two dolphins, with me as the rope and the prize. Back and forth I go, towards one dolphin then the other. The pod has left all three of us behind and we are all alone in a, now pointless, tug-of-war. The wear on my shirts sleeves has finally given way as I hear a distinctive RIIIIIP and I start falling into the black abyss below far faster than I should in water. I hear the two dolphins let out whistles of distress as they fade out of view.

I continue to drift downwards. As I go, the darkness begins to light up with little points of light. Stars, I think. But that doesn't make sense...if I was underwater, how can I be in space now? Usually, when I dream, my mind sticks to one place.

"Because you're not dreaming."

I turn to the sound of the voice and am struck speechless at what I see. There in the midst of the nothingness, is a pink crystal shard encasing the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. She has dark skin with an almost velvety look to it. Her hair is as white as snow with a band of red stars circling her forehead. That's when I see her eyes...the eyes are the same color purple as Kokana's. Could it be...

"Bedilia?" Her eyes widen as she looks at me. She floats closer to the crystal wall separating us, placing her hands against it.

"You know my name? How?"

"Kokana, sort of told me. She entered my subconscious to talk to me." Bedilia's eyes narrow at the sound of Kokana's name, almost as if repulsed by it.

"Oh. I see. And you are the girl that she cursed, are you not?"

"Y-Yes, yes I am," I answer. I am a little frightened by this girl. The resemblance between her and Kokana is unsettling at the very least. "If you don't mind my asking," I say unexpectedly, "are you and her sisters by any chance?"

Bedilia sighs and closes her eyes. "Yes, we are. She is older than I am, but is still the foolish girl I grew up with."

I knock on the crystal and feel a burning in my hands. It's as if my hands fell asleep in an instant. This thing goes beyond my comprehension. Bedilia sees my confused face and smiles sadly.