Chapter 13

Your P.O.V

The rest of the day was pretty awkward. Jack, Mark, and I were all sitting on the couch at one point. Now we are all scattered about the room doing our own things. Why? Because Mark was talking to me and Jack kept interjecting to the point where Mark got a little irritated. In short, things got a little heated and now Mark is checking his twitter, Jack is looking at Tumblr, and I am drawing on my sketchbook app. The room is dead quiet except for the occasional blip of a notification. We need to do something together, something that we would all enjoy...

"Let's play Mario Kart," I say out of nowhere. Jack and Mark both look up from their phones to look at me.

"Sure, Mario Kart sounds like fun," Mark says, liking the idea.

"No way. Mark, you get way too intense when you play Mario Kart," Jack responds. Mark just shrugs and smiles.

"It's a serious game. I pick Bowser. I play to win."

They continue to talk with each other as I start up the gaming system. I knew I could count on a game to bring these two roosters together. They were acting like two roosters earlier, so the analogy still works in my mind. Actually, Mark looks more like a rooster because of his hair. I giggle at the image of Mark as a rooster. He looks at me and smiles at me.

"What's so funny?"

"Well, earlier you two were fighting like roosters in a cock fight. Then I realized that with your red hair, you could actually be a rooster." Mark chuckles and looks at Jack expectantly. Jack just looks back at him and shrugs. Mark just shakes his head.

"I can't believe you just passed up a joke about a cock fight, Jack."

"Low hanging fruit, Mark. Anyway, who are you guys going to be?"

I look back at the screen and go through the characters, wondering who I should be. I keep scrolling until I decide on Luigi.

"Why Luigi," Jack asks.

I shrug. "He seems like the most underappreciated character, so I decided to give him a chance. Besides, green is a nice color. I love green." Jack gives Mark a sort of smug look while Mark just rolls his eyes. Jack picks Yoshi and Mark went for Bowser like he said he would. I go through the different levels and finally find one that's bound to bring them together.

"Let's play Rainbow Road!"

_time skip_ (>^^)><(^^<)

"You cheating cheaters! How are you so much better than me?!" Jack and Mark just laugh and cross the finish line at the same time. They give each other a high five and then do the hand hug thing they did on that panel one time. "Septiplier awaaaaay," I shout. They both look at me and laugh.

"Not even. Never," Mark chuckles.

"That's right," Jack agrees, "Hey, should we play another round?"

"I think that I should go to bed now," I say as I stand up. I walk over to Jack and give him a hug goodnight. He hugs me back tightly, not crushing me, more like a protective hug. I let go first and glance at Mark. He looks like a dejected puppy. Against my better judgment, I walk over to him as well and give him a hug too. He's surprised at first, but soon hugs back gently. He's like a big teddy bear! I let go and smile at the both of them. "You guys get along without me, okay?"

They both nod and I turn around to go to my room. I hear them talking quietly in harsh whispers as I move away from the living room. Well, forget about them getting along. I enter my room and take off my clothes, leaving me in my bra and underwear. I look at myself and sigh. what do those boys even see in me? I just don't get it...there are many other girls out there that look much better than me. Why haven't found a girlfriend already?

Wait...doesn't Jack already have a girlfriend? Yeah...I think her name is Signe. Why didn't I think about this before?! Jack shouldn't even be thinking about liking me if he already has a gf! Now, I'm more confused than ever. Maybe a good night's sleep will help me clear my head. I change into the Septic Eye shirt that Jack gave me and some furry green pajama pants that I bought myself and climb into bed. I crawl under the covers and close my eyes, waiting for sleep to come.

Mark's P.O.V (weren't expecting that, were ya!)

Gecko really is beautiful. I can't believe I get to spend the next couple of weeks around her. I mean, everything about her is amazing! Her personality, her smile, her looks, and even the way she plays games. The only thing standing in my way of asking her on a date is Jack. He seems very protective of her, almost like they are already together. And I know that they're not, I could tell that much from what Jack has told me. "Well, that was a fun game. Gecko was really good!"

"Yeah, she was," Jack agrees. "She's good at a lot of things."

"Like what," I ask curiously. Jack looks at me and smiles softly.

"She can sing. I heard her sing a few days ago and it was beautiful."

My heart lifts a little. She likes to sing? "I can't wait to hear her sometime," I say. Jack gets up off the floor and sits down next to me on the couch, his hands clasped together. He does this only when he is thinking about something that worries him. Even though we have our differences about Gecko, he's still my friend, and I want to know what's wrong. "Jack, tell me what's on your mind, man. I know we may be at each other's throats about her, but I still want to help you."

His blue eyes meet mine in a fierce stare, making me back down. "You want to help? You can help by staying. Away. From. Gecko," he whispers harshly. "Everything was fine until you showed up and had to ruin everything. So, just leave her alone."

My heart starts to beat faster and I can feel my face heat up a little. "I can't do that Jack. I can't stop my feelings for someone, even if those feelings could hurt somebody else. I'm sorry."

Jack stands up and faces away from me, his arms at his sides with clenched fists. "I'm sorry too, Mark. Because as of right now, our friendship is over."

I stare at him with my jaw open in shock at what he just said. We've been friends for so long...and now it's over? Just like that? "J-Jack..."

He tenses up and starts shaking, his hands going up to his hoodie and clenching the material between his fists. He takes in a shaky breath and exhales the same. "I-I...I can't be friends with someone who is actively trying to hurt me. I'm s-sorry Mark. B-But, I can't do this. Our friendship is over, for now."

I can see tears falling down the side of his face as he finishes. Jack, no...I can't handle it when I see you cry... A few tears of my own drip down my cheek. His shaking gets more violent. I stand up as well and move towards him, wanting to comfort him. As I approach, he sees me out of the corner of his eye and shuffles away from me.

"I-I h-h-have to go to bed, now. G-g-goodnight M-Mark...I'msosorry," he finishes quickly. He brushes past me and I catch a glimpse of his face. It's stricken with regret and sadness, tears streaming down his cheeks like waterfalls; his eyes are red and so is his nose, all because I said I wouldn't leave Gecko alone. Now our friendship is over and it's all my fault.

I retreat to my room and walk over to the bed, giving the pillow a solid punch. I let the tears fall as I keep punching the pillow. Why, Jack? We could have worked it out! I didn't want to have to lose your friendship! My punches get weaker as I start crying harder. Soon, I am just hugging the pillow and letting my sobs out. My head starts to hurt, but I ignore it. The pain in my heart is far worse than any physical pain.

I get up off the bed and start to undress, still sniffling as I do. I slip on a white t-shirt that I wear at night when I am at a friend's house, not wanting to be rude. My pants come off and I keep my boxers on. Sighing, I get under the covers and start hugging the pillow again. Even though he just said we weren't friends, I already miss him. One last tear slips from my eyes as I drift off into a dreamless sleep.