Chapter 8

Rei's POV

Verena laughed. "I'm sorry, did I scare you?"
       I stared at her. Thank god it was Verena and not some crazy psycho that brought me here to kill me.
       "I must've. Here, let me make you something to eat, you must be starving." She said.
       "U-um, yeah. How'd I get here?" I stuttered.
       "Oh, I just found you in a forest on the border of the Seelie territory, so I thought it best to bring you back here."
       "The... the border?" I asked, confused.
       "Yeah. Both the Seelie and Unseelie have their own territory, you see. You were right on the border. There was also a little house there too, it looked pretty empty to me." Verena pulled out a bag of flour from the cupboard and set it down on the counter.
       "Huh, that's strange. I never saw a house." Something in me told me that I shouldn't speak of my encounter with Kiaran. "So what was that all about the other day, when you guys shoved me in the closet?"
       "Oh, that? No worries, there was just a faery. We didn't think you would be very safe if you came with us, so we improvised." Verena turned towards me, a playful smile on her face.
       I nodded. I leaned against the island, my eyes drooping a bit. I was tired. Maybe I would go back to bed after I eat. I wondered what Verena was making. From the ingredients she was mixing into a bowl, I guessed it was cookies. Yum.
       "What happened while I was gone?" I asked carefully. I didn't want to give anything away.
       "Well, Blaike and I were looking all over for you. You just simply disappeared. Say, where did you run off to?" Curiosity filled her brown eyes, with a tinge of something feral. 
       Oh god. I struggled to find an answer. "U-um... I went outside trying to find you and Blaike, and I kind of got lost."
       "And you found yourself at the border?" Verena said, suspicious.
       "Ah- yes, I guess so. I got so lost I couldn't find Blaike's house, and I must have ended up at the border." I said, shrugging.
       "Okay. Well anyway, the cookies will be done in about thirty minutes. There are fresh clothes in the spare bedroom, you can change if you'd like."
       I nodded and headed back to the bedroom and shut the door. Looking around, I spotted a small dresser made of a dark red wood, just like the furniture in the other room. I opened one of the drawers. So many silks. I shuffled through until I found a white sundress, and slipped it on. I laced up my converse sneakers, and found a mirror on the wall. I combed my fingers through my ratty hair, and tied it up into a bun with my only hair tie that was on my wrist.
       Opening the door, I find Verena in that big, sunny room, lounging in a red armchair. "Hey."
       "I like that on you, it looks really good!" Verena's face lit up.
       "Oh, thanks." I said awkwardly.
       "Come, sit. It's okay, I won't bite." Verena coaxed.
       I hesitated, then sat down in the chair next to her. I sank into the material. Through the windows, I could see that the sun was setting. The sky was ablaze with every color of the rainbow.
       "It's beautiful, isn't it? Sometimes I'll just sit in here and watch the sunset." Verena said quietly.
       "I used to watch the sunset sometimes back at home. In the human world. They weren't nearly as pretty as this though." I sighed.
       "Really? That's a shame. Oh, the cookies are almost done! You're going to love them, they're my absolute favorite!" She exclaimed.
       Alone in the room, I watched the sun slowly set. The landscape started to darken with shadows, and it almost looked as if there were someone in the trees, watching me. I shook my head. It's just your eyes playing tricks. No one's watching you.
       "Here you are," Verena handed me a plate with several cookies on it. Chocolate chip, my favorite.
       " Mmm... these are delicious!" I exclaimed, mouth full.
       "Really? I just knew you would like them!" Verena smiled.
       We ate and talked about our favorite recipes; all the while I swore I could see someone in those trees. I tried to pay attention to Verena, but my heart was racing. Was someone here to kill me? God, I hope not.
       "Well, I'm heading to bed, it's been quite a day. You're welcome to stay down here for a while if you'd like."  Verena offered.
       "Sure."
       After Verena left, I slowly got up from the chair. I was determined to find out if someone was out there. Though I had no means of protection and was wearing a dress, I was going anyway. I tiptoed to the front door, and stopped. Did I really want to go out there? What if there really was someone out there that wanted to kill me?
       Nonetheless, I opened the front door and stepped out into the cool night air. I quietly walked over to the trees, heart racing. A branch cracked and I nearly screamed, but then realized it was just me who stepped on a twig. So far, nothing. Maybe there isn't anyone out here and I was just imagining things.
       "Took you long enough."
       This time, I did scream. Well, I tried to, but no sound came out. I spun around, half expecting to be stabbed to death. But that didn't happen.
       "K-Kiaran? What the hell are you doing here?" I whispered fiercely.
       "I thought I might stop by. Though that didn't exactly go as expected." He was leaning against a tree, his pale skin softly glowing in the moonlight.
       "No shit, Sherlock." I spat.
       "Huh?" Kiaran sounded confused, but didn't look the part. No emotion was reflected in those eyes.
       "Never mind. Just tell me what you want." I crossed my arms, shivering. I should've worn a jacket.
       "I don't want anything. But you do." He said mechanically.
       "Yes, I want to know why you're here!" I raised my voice.
       "Wrong."
       "How- never mind. Since you seem to know everything, why don't you tell me?" I was seriously done with him.
       "Have you already forgotten what you wanted to know the other day?" Kiaran tilted his head in an odd way, it seemed inhuman. Which made sense, considering he isn't human.
       I pondered this. I guess I do remember that I wanted to know something. But I couldn't remember what it was. I guess I had been doing too much sleeping lately.
       "I... I can't remember what it was." I say quietly.
       "Then I guess you'll never know." Kiaran started to walk off.
       "Hey, wait-" I start to yell.
       But he was already gone.
----------------------------------------------
This chapter was a lot of fun, hope you guys like it!