April 2025

A/N: So...Spaces in between is coming to an end :'(. You will have noticed the massive time jump. I have decided it's time to say goodbye to Archer, Felix, Stella, Clark, Marx and the others. Time for new ideas, new people and well...I really do need to pay attention to my other books. Don't despair, this isn't the last chapter. But there'll only be a few more chapters (5 estimated) and an epilogue.

Much love,

Dante

======================================================================

~Archer~

"Nineteen".

"Nine-teen", a soft voice repeated after me, followed by some giggling.

"Twenty".

"F-wenty", the little girl lying in my arms repeated like a parrot. She hadn't quite gotten it right but I wasn't dissuaded. That she was lying there instead of bouncing up and down the house was testament to her eagerness to learn things.

My left hand lifted from the edge of the book I was holding and my finger tracked through some drawings of oddly shaped frogs to a bunch of elephants. I stopped there.

"How many are these elephants?" I asked clearly.

"Belephants?" a little voice enquired uncertainly.

I nodded. I didn't correct her, knowing her love for adding letters in front of words that started with vowels, especially the letter "B".

Marie giggled slightly. She traced the elephants before putting her little finger at each and muttering something under her breath.

"Fifteen!" she said excitedly.

"Well done!" I said smiling widely.

Marie could at three years old, count up to twenty, with occasional mistakes. It was a feat for a child her age and I was immensely proud of her. She seemed to love doing it and would pick up the book so we could practice. I had decided to buy small balls for her to physically count, but I kept forgetting.

I was about to close the book when we were interrupted by a guest. The guy lazily walking towards us was Marie's companion and guardian. He was covered in a fur coat from top to bottom, with several areas on his head and "feet" spared. The fur was faded black and tan, with black mask and black body markings. He was large and at 60 cm on all fours, was only 37 cm shorter than Marie.

He walked closer to the couch where Marie and I were sitting, sitting just close to my legs on Marie's side.

"Bucky you are back", Marie squealed excitedly and rushed to get out of my arms, almost tripping and her dress pulling up her thighs. I steadied her and she placed both feet on the floor, rushing to her guardian.

Bucky raised his long neck excitedly as Marie ruffled the hair on his forehead and proceeded to play with the dog's ears. Bucky- a German shepherd- would not let anyone else besides his owners and our close friends play with his ears or any part of him really. He was alert, intelligent and obedient, but could be very aggressive if he sensed danger, especially to the toddler he was assigned to protect.

Bucky had become part of the family when Marie turned a year old. My husband wanted a dog. I wanted a cat. After a short debate I gave in. I had a condition for giving in- he had to get a small dog. He said he would. I knew from his hidden devilish grin that he wasn't going to do that. I lamented not going with him to get the dog when he brought Bucky home. He'd brought home a dog that shed his fur every day and was sure to grow bigger than our small bundle of joy, I was angry.