March 2023 (2)

~Felix~

"I'll send the final instructions to the school", my manager was saying.

"I'm looking forward to seeing the kids. Make sure to let them know we are really happy to have them here", I said, packing up my desk. That should have signaled to my manger that the meeting was over, but she wasn't moving a muscle.

"Will you be here?" she asked.

"I will be in for an hour or so to do the introductions and welcome. My daughter is turning 1 on that day so I can only be available for a short period. Have fun with the teenagers", I said with a smug smile and finished packing up.

"I still don't know why I agreed to do the tour", she said.

"Because you know everything about everything that's in here?" I said. "I have to go now; Marie is having her check up today, and all those painful vaccinations".

"Good luck", she said and followed me out of the office.

*

The drive to the hospital was uneventful, except for some mild traffic. I was a few minutes late. I had just parked at the hospital parking lot when I received a call.

"Felix?"

"Hello Mr. de la Cruz. You are speaking to Charlotte from Lakeview memorial. This is about an appointment that was made with the resident pediatrician Dr. Eisenberg for Marie de la Cruz for 12:30 pm. We wanted to know if you will still make the appointment or if you'd like to reschedule", the person on the other side of the line said.

"Unfortunately Marie is not with me at the moment. Have you tried calling my husband? He should be at the hospital by now", I said.

"We have tried to get in contact with Mr. de la Cruz, but his phone is on voicemail", she said.

"I'll get back to you in a moment", I said and hung up.

That Archer was late was surprising. That his phone was off was alarming. In our relationship he was the organized one.

I dialed his number and waited, only to be greeted by his mailbox. I tried again and got the same thing. I dialed the home telephone. It rang and rang but no one answered. I was starting to become agitated. My last resort was to call the cab company and see if he'd asked for one at all.

"Cab connect, how can we help you today?"

"Hi. I have an informal request to make. It is possible to check in your records if a cab was requested today for 113 Faraway Street, Brentwood?"

"Yes. It was requested about 40 minutes ago".

"And? Did it pick up the people there?" I asked, with all sorts of scenarios running through my head. What if Archer and Marie had been in an accident?

"I cannot give up that kind of information", the person said.

"Please! It's an emergency. Those people are my husband and daughter".

There was a sigh. "No. The cab was dispatched, but no one was home".

That didn't make sense. Why would Archer call for a cab and then leave before it got there? He couldn't have possibly decided to drive instead. I told him his ankle might not take the strain. He wouldn't take such a risk, not with our daughter with him.