October 2020

~Felix~

"So um babe...since I can't go home because of work, mom has decided to um...visit us".

"You are kidding, right?"

"Nope. She's never spent so much time without seeing me and she misses me"

"Tell her there are things called video calls"

"It's only for a couple of days".

"There goes my plan of working from home".

That had been a week before. Archer's mom had decided to grace us with her presence. I had no problem with her visiting Los Angeles. I had a problem with her staying with us. I could tolerate her in small doses.

I appreciated that she was my husband's mom and he loved and cared for her, but she and I didn't really get along. I tried to stay out of her way as much as possible. She'd reluctantly given me her blessing to marry her son, I wasn't her favorite person. She wasn't mine either and it had nothing to do with my mom. I just didn't see myself holding down a conversation with her.

"She's going to be here in 30 minutes. I'm leaving now", Archer said leaning in to give me a kiss by the kitchen counter. It was on a fine Saturday morning.

I pulled his car keys away from him and kept his lips on mine.

He pulled back. "Babe, If I'm late she'll throw a tantrum. And then she'll be a pain her whole visit", he said.

"I'm sure she's going to be a pain without you being late".

"Give me the keys"

"No", I said defiantly.

"Felix, give me those damn keys or you are sleeping on the couch tonight. I'm sure mom will be very pleasant when she finds out you are sleeping in the living room".

I put the keys on the kitchen counter and pouted.

"Don't be grumpy", Archer said giving me a short kiss. "You'll get a lot of loving as soon as my mom is out the door".

"I'm hoping she changes her mind and checks into a hotel instead. Did you tell her I'll pay? Top floor if she wants. A whole damn suite...room service, the works".

"Bye", Archer said and gave me a warning smile before he walked to the door.

"I'm going to the gym", I announced to his back.

"Not until I get back. You can't not be here to meet her. That's rude", he said after opening the door.

"I suddenly feel like going on a vacation", I groaned.

"You better not move a muscle", he shouted and stopped moving. "Maybe you should come with".

"Please go before she causes a hurricane in the terminals", I shouted back.

While he was gone, I mentally prepared myself to deal with my mother in law. It was no secret she didn't like me and she wasn't going to suddenly like me. Our relationship was...we had no relationship. We spoke when it was absolutely necessary to speak.