Out of the blue, he slowed the car until the tires completely stopped. He turned to her, his eyes crinkling at the corners that genuinely spoke of his sincere intentions.

"I know," he said. "But I don't care if I am a rebound, Paige."

She quickly shook her head. "No, I beg to differ. I may appear too affectionate to you but all of it is true. Not because I want to use you..."

"Then use me–"

She held his hand. "But I don't want to. Because you deserve the whole me, Owen. I wouldn't want to make you feel good out of lies or be in a relationship with you, only to be half-assed about it. I know what that feels like, nobody deserves to be in that position where I've once been."

It was only then she realized how frail and trembling her voice had sounded when Owen's features turned into a mellow one. Even without saying, she knew how mad he'd gotten over it. In the midst of that, though, she could see the implication of unblemished affection in his eyes.

"You don't know how happy your words make me," he replied, curling her stray hairs behind her ear, and she'd rather heard her heart jouncing against her chest that made her breath hitch in her throat. "But I want you to think of yourself first this time round, Paige. I both hate and love that in you–for putting other's well-being before your own. But you have to prioritize what you want now, okay?"

She stifled a sigh then threw a smile his way. "Okay."

More or less ten minutes forward and they finally reached Hackett University. The guards who were currently stationed at the post didn't even have to think twice about asking for Owen's ID. Even with different cars, they recognized her friend the second he pulled down his window.

Polite nods and happy salutes later and they were furthering down the long, winding path to the business sphere. Since the campus was particularly vast, with several buildings and plenty of quadrangles, the pick up area for business was located meters off from where the main building was; the guards remained behind while Owen went past another quadrangle and aimed for the drop off location, fronting the main building with a classical architecture and portico for its entryway.

Just as Owen neared it, Paige received a text from Jouwee.

Driving to yours. I think Cain's phone died 'cuz last text he sent was him forgetting to juice up. Make him wait. I need to get something.

She quickly replied, "Okay. You know what, I think you guys are cute together," to which Jouwee replied, "Go to hell, Paige."

Laughing, she'd only realized that Owen had stepped out of the car when her door suddenly clicked open. Owen ducked down, making her lips tug up when he revealed an outstretched hand.

"We're here."

The cold weather stung her eyes quite a bit but she was admittedly enthralled to even look away. It was as if she didn't want to blink, for fear of missing something. Even as the smoke of winter escaped his lips seemed captivating for some reason, his tiny dimples down the sides of his mouth showing as he smiled down at her.

"Thank you," she breathed, taking his hand.

She hadn't realized that there were students milling around, probably relishing the glistening snow all over the lawn and the branches. But all of those curious stares were hastily forgotten when Owen tugged her overcoat by the collar as if to bury her face there.

He chuckled when she scowled at him.

"No gloves today?" Owen flickered his lashes down her hands.