Chapter 1

“What do you think?” Ginny asks, twirling around in her gown. It’s fitted on her bodice, but then flares out at her hips. It’s a stunning dress, but Ginny being in the dress makes it a hundred times more stunning. She’s just a star, waiting to be born.

I feel my eyes watering. I attempt to fan them away. “You’re...agh! I just can’t believe my baby sister is getting married!” I exclaim, then add dramatically, “Before me!”

She laughs her beautiful laugh that could make the entire country melt. “That’s only because I actually trust guys besides only one.” When she sees the look on my face after her words hit me, she realizes her mistake. “Oh… sorry.” Her cheeks flush a deep red. “I forgot for a while.”

I dismiss it with a wave of my hand. “Don’t worry about it. Rather, worry about your hair. What hairstyle matches a no strap, sweetheart-neckline?”

My eyes open, a smile etched over my lips from the dream. I’m lucky that I was given one of the good memories, instead of the nightmares that leave me screaming and flailing my limbs in my sleep.

I glance outside. The sun’s barely peeking out beyond the horizon. At first I find zen in the sun’s presence, but then I realize that means I slept in.

In a swift motion, I throw the covers off my body, the humid Nashville morning air sagging on my bare skin. I change quickly into the mandatory orange T-shirt for my job, Willow’s Car Wash, managing to stub my toe on the kitchen table while in the process of tugging my jeans over my legs.

Willow’s Car Wash is relatively new, the wash being named after the CEO’s daughter, Willow. When I first met her, she left me with the impression that she was sweet.

But then I actually started working with her.

Let’s just say that Willow is very difficult to work with seven days a week for nine hours a day.

I rush into my car, brushing my hair as I move, and pull into the streets. I zip down avenue after avenue and block after block, until I reach Willow’s Car Wash. Willow, as usual, is waiting for me. Being the CEO’s daughter, she’s the company’s little princess.

And boss when her daddy’s not around.

I park in the parking lot, jump out of the car, shut the door behind me, and jog over to Willow, who is tapping her foot impatiently.

“Wow, you’re only ten minutes late, a new record,” she snaps, glaring at me.

“Actually,” I correct her, “last week I came in only five minutes late.”

Her glare intensifies. “Was I talking to you?”

I look around. We’re the only ones outside. “Um…. I think so.”

She rolls her eyes. “I don’t need the sass, Strange, especially not today.” When she says her nickname designated for me (my last name’s Grange, and she think’s I’m a freak), I bite my tongue. She continues, “Daddy is making another company called Windows by Willow.” She leans in closer, so close, that her perfume smells like it’s being pumped up my nose. “In case you couldn't tell, Strange, it’s a window cleaning company.” She pauses to flip her long brown hair over her shoulder. “Anyway, don’t give me any sass. It’s hard enough being named after yet another one of Daddy’s companies.”

She struts away, probably to her little air-conditioned office. While as I, still in the mandatory jeans and heavy cotton T-shirt, am stuck standing outside in the scorching sun all day where I will rot. And sweat.

A bunch.

The day goes by agonizingly slow, and after a few decades, it’s time for my lunch break. We (by ‘we’ I mean myself and two other employees, one of which who doesn’t do anything except burp and rub his beer belly) only have eleven customers. While Ruth and I slaved away and Greg rested in the shade of a large tree in the patch of grass across the street, I noticed how long my hair has grown since the incident. Since cars are reflective, I decided to actually look at my reflection, and what I saw surprised me.

You Make Me ▶▶A Hunter Hayes Fanfiction◀◀जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें