10. | C H E C K I N G U P

Start from the beginning

Carter knew the game swallowed pretty faces like alcoholics devoured spirits and this one he just wanted to save - - he had to. Maybe a higher being had introduced them with some great divine plan in mind? Maybe he was sent to be a blessing to someone in need of guidance? Just maybe she was sent to show him what he hadn't been doing in his own relationships with his children? Whatever it was, he couldn't forget her, the girl that reminded him of a little porcelain doll - - so delicate, so pretty, like a baby doll.

The black tires of his midnight blue Bentley came to a halt at the edge of the curb as the driver stopped in front of a tall apartment building. He knew this kind of environment well, the concrete jungle, the hustle and bustle of people with agendas just trying to survive in a world that told them they couldn't. He had come from the projects and though he lived like a king these days he never forgot about the pissy hallways, the street fights, hunger pains when he didn't have anything to eat, the crime and poverty - - that place, as gritty and uninviting as it was - - that place was home and would always be home for him.

Brooklyn was in his heart as if it were tattooed there forever and the struggle that made him a man resided there as well. A life-changing mentor of Carter's had instilled that in him when he was a young man, only sixteen years of age.

Carter could still hear his words in his head, 'never forget where the fuck you come from cause you can always go back - - never lose that humble nigga inside you, Carter - - God'll snatch it all if you do'. Carter had seen it happen before too and knew that it was as possible as it was to come up and he didn't ever want to come back down. Putting God at the forefront no matter how dirty business got meant something - - even some murders, adulterers, hustlers have God's influence in them somewhere. Surely, Carter had Him there too.

The door was opened for him and Carter's killer shoe game stepped onto the cracked gray pavement of Harlem with an unavoidable presence. When he stepped out the car dripping in humble power he cast his gaze up the brown brick of the housing project and sucked his tempting bottom lip in his mouth looking at the building that stood so high. His manicured fingers reached for his cellular when he felt it vibrate in his pocket and he ignored the call that was coming through - - Aiko once again and he didn't have time for her foolishness. He didn't know what she said to Destini in the bathroom but he didn't like how it had Destini thinking that she wasn't beautiful anymore.

Carter knew that Aiko had some issues that went beyond craziness and she thought he was blind to the fact that she was shoving her finger down her throat to stay thin and feel good about herself - - to feel beautiful - - but Carter knew she did that shit. He heard her one night after he was getting dressed from a session of them going at it like rabbits and honestly that's what confirmed her insecurity about herself. What really pissed him off was the fact that Aiko went projecting her insecurities about her looks onto Destini because she was upset that Carter wasn't giving her any play. So fuck it, thought Carter, I'll let the bitch suffer. She was going to pay for that little tid bit that she put in Destini's head at the restaurant and that was for sure.

Carter just didn't have the kind of respect for her that he might have had for other women and if it was wrong then so be it - - a man will only do to a woman what she accepts and Aiko accepted a lot of shit that practically begged Carter to disrespect her. If it was foul then it was what it was to him; Aiko needed to be taught a lesson and Carter was going to make her fiend for him, need him, cry and go through withdrawal over him until he felt like dealing with her.

As he ascended the stairs he saw neighborhood eyes all on him with their mouths dropped; they didn't know what Carter was doing there but they knew his face and they sure knew the name. A few of them had the courage to wave at him and Carter waved back. There was a ball game going on in the middle of the courtyard and as he passed it he saw the guys on the court shouting out to him and one threw him the ball. Carter smirked holding the ball in his hands and paid them their respect as they exchanged respect with him and he tossed the ball back. Suddenly he heard his phone chime again and looked down to see a new text message in the screen: