Crushed

Chapter 57

I woke from my forced slumber sluggish and a little disoriented. I heard voices all around me, but I couldn't focus on any voice. I tried to unscramble my thoughts and remember the last thing that happened. Creed!

I shot up from the bed and tried getting my bearings around the unfamiliar room that was packed with people. "Eva, you're awake."

"Dad, where's Creed?"

"I'm sorry, we haven't been able to recover his body."

"What do you mean recover? He's not dead. I would know, my wolf would know. He's alive. I know it."

"The building collapsed an hour ago, it's still smoldering. It's too hot, the fire department has been trying to get it under control. They are going to let the building burn itself out."

"I need to go. He needs me."

"Eva, we will sedate you again. You need to wait." My dad warned.

"It's a little too late to act as my father. You have no right to tell me what to do. I'm going!" He visibly flinched at the harshness of my words. This was not the time for him to play concerned daddy.

He recover and his emotionless face that I have grown to love was back in place. "You're right, then I'm tagging along."

"I'm going too." Silas piped in.

I pulled the sheet off me and hop off the bed. Silas handed me a pair of shoes and we left the hospital. I walked towards the fire trucks and the men standing around and aiming their hose at the smoldering collapsed building.

I had to think. I was so focused on the front of the building where the woman ran out, maybe they decided to leave from another exit. I circled the building and stood at the back of the building where the explosion had also did some damage to the building behind it.

The building was an old theater that was under renovation. The front of the building was destroyed and buried by the debris from the council building. I sniffed the air trying to catch his scent. The air was clogged with the burning scent of wood, metal, and mixed in with the chemicals that made it difficult to catch anyone's scent.

I tried our mindlink but nothing.

"Eva what are you thinking?" My dad asked.

"What if they tried exiting out the rear and caught up in the explosion." I stared at the theater.

"You are thinking that they may be trapped in the theater?" Silas guessed.

"It's worth a shot." My dad nodded his head at my theory. Silas left to round up some firemen to help us move the debris. I prayed that they were trapped in that building. He had to be, it was the only explanation left of why he was not here with me now. I refuse to believe that he died in that explosion.

A few minutes later, Silas had come back with a crew of men armed with tools. We all made our way to the theater and the firemen suggest we enter through the back of the theater.

They went first to check if the building was sound. They called out to us to join them and we made our way through the back of the theater out through the stage. The house of the theater was intact but near the back that lead to lobby appeared to have caved in.

Two hours later with a full crew and about 20 volunteers, we dug through the debris and finally made it to the lobby. They were small pockets of spaces and I flash a light into the darkness. I shine the light slowly from my far right to the left. I then started moving it back when I saw the light flicker on something.