45 - Moment Of Truth

Start from the beginning

Remembering the events of last night, she went straight to her table. Lo and behold, the NSO document is still there. Nothing's changed. Who would have thought that she woke up yesterday feeling very much single and sleep last night a married woman? Only the groom is not aware of it.

She studied her options. Kailan niya sasabihin? Of course he needs to know. He said settling down is still years away but he did not say he doesn't have a girlfriend, did he? For all she knows, baka yun pa ring Amerikana na nakita niya sa Changi airport.

That's when she noticed the number of missed calls from Tita Terrie. She glanced at her watch, it's just 5AM. She initiated the video call. It was picked up on the first ring.

"Ano ba Maine? Did you know that I'm already arranging my schedule and looking for flights? Totoo ba ang binalita ni Kakai? Are you really, really, really really sure?"

Maine showed the NSO document of the CENOMAR result to the camera.

"I don't know want to do, don't know what to say. Kanta ba 'yon? Maine, I'm so ssoooorry! It's all my fault. Let's not lose hope, I'm sure it's null and void. There has to be a mistake somewhere. Itutuloy ko na rin ang uwi ko. Aayusin natin yan."

"Don't blame yourself Tita. If not for my brainchild of announcing that I'm getting married to Joon-mo, hindi naman mangyayari 'to. It's Richard that I'm worried about. Masyadong extreme na 'to for him."

"Alam na ba n'ya?"

Maine shook her head, unable to speak suddenly becoming teary-eyed.

"Do you want me to tell him? I can make the call."

"No, Tita. Malaki na ko, we're both grown ups, we can sort this out between us. I need to go. Magrerecord pa po ako ng video para kay mommy."

"Then the migration process will be put on hold? Is that how you found out?"

"Yes Tita. On hold indefinitely until I sort this out. But don't tell my grandma until we have additional details."

"Basta, we're here for you. I'll send you my itinerary."

A/N: Ms. Terrie, paano na ang Italian boyfriend mo? Porque?

------------------

Richard glanced at his phone for the nth time in the last hour. It has been two days and not even a message or call. Not a single question or clarification.

"Brader, okay na 'to. I put marginal notes on the contract template for your review. Inaayos ko na rin yung incorporation papers ng Construx Philippines? Sigurado ka na ba sa decision mo to put up a local presence here? Hindi ka nabibigla? Naiiintidihan ko that you want to save on costs by getting the talents here, pero may iba namang paraan on how to do it."

Tope' had been observing his friend's agitated state for the last hour or so and he thinks he knows the cause.

"Sabi na nga ba at spaced out na naman e."

"Ano bang pinagsasabi mo? I'm listening. I will look at your notes in the contract later."

"I will not even attempt to make you repeat what I just said in the last hour. Mapapahiya lang ang ego ko. On another note, are you sure na dito ka na titira at mag-ooffice? Saka akala ko uunti-untiin mo lang ang pagpapagawa nitong bahay kaya pinatigil mo sa architect yung trabaho? Then what's this I heard that an interior designer came here the other day?"

"Pinapa-estimate ko lang kung magkano aabutin to finish this out. May masama ba?"

"Depende sa interior designer. Is there a letter 'M', is there a letter 'E', is there a letter 'I' sa pangalan nung interior designer?"