32 - It's a Date

Walang kamalay-malay si Maine that Richard literally moved heaven and earth to be able to attend that meeting and bring that presentation. Tinanggal na pala talaga siya sa team. Dumiretso siya kay Chief, who is now also back from his business trip at ipinakita lang niya ang drawings at 3D rendering kay Chief who agreed that he should be the one to present it.

He went back to him the next day.

"How was your trip? Sorry ngayon ko lang po natanong."

"Oo nga, you looked very pre-occupied yesterday. The trip was very fruitful. We found a lot of potential partners and one even agreed to sign up already. We're working on the papers now. Maiba ko. What happened Richard? I heard you were removed from the two teams I assigned you to."

He recalled Mr. X's words 'Remember, I'm more senior than your division head. You don't want both your careers to be destroyed.'

He decided not to say anything, for now. "Sir, sa first assignment, I already gave my reviews. I can provide you a copy if you want."

"No, I trust your judgment. I'm sure they have already considered your inputs."

"Tungkol naman po sa school project, hindi ko po alam Chief. Wala nga pong kumakausap sa 'kin na wala na pala ko sa team. But thank you for allowing me to attend that last meeting with the architect."

"No problem, that interior design was very good, very modern and practical. Good job for finding that designer. But there's something else I want to talk to you about."

"Ano po yun?"

"I received a request from the Division on Public Works Projects for your transfer. Siguro nagustuhan nila ang work mo. That will be a challenging work."

Ngayon nirerequest nila 'ko? Bakit? Para ma-monitor mga galaw ko?

"Pero Chief, I like it in our division and I think I'm more needed here."

"I have another news for you Richard. I'm transferring to the parent company. Mr. M has ordered me to setup a new department to oversee the partnerships that we're forming. Gusto ko lang malagay ka sa ayos before I leave. Kung puwede nga lang kitang bitbitin papunta doon but they want all engineers for the initial members of the team. Maybe later."

"Puwede ko muna po bang pag-isipan or do I even have a choice in this?"

"Sure, we can consider your thoughts but it has to be justifiable."

Mukhang kailangan ko nang i-accept ang mga job interview invitations.

--------------

Meanwhile....

"It's a date."

"It's not a date."

"It's a date. It's a date. It's a date."

"Tita, it's not a date. Just a friendly outing. No strings attached."

"Ano yan? Field trip, may kasama kayong teacher? At sinabi talaga niyang no strings attached? I-google mo, iba ibig sabihin nyan. I should know."

Maine remained quiet and continued pushing their cart. They were in the supermarket buying her aunt's personal supplies.

Tita Terrie continued. "If I know, para-paraan lang yang si Richard because he knows you're not interested in romance. Sabihin mo sa kanya, luma na style niya. Marami nang gumamit nyan."

She paused and turned to her aunt. "If it's a real date, then I should not go."

"O isa ka pang magpapabebe. Tantanan mo ko Nicomaine. Hindi ko sinabing tanggihan mo. Gusto mo ring sumama diba? Kailan ba?"