2 - Welcome Home, Tita Terrie

♪♪ Kaytagal mo nang nawala, babalik ka rin. Babalik....♪♪

(Babalik Ka Rin by Gary V )  altogether now,  ♪♪.... at babalik ka rin. ♪♪ 

Let's back track a bit. At NAIA Terminal 2, morning of the same day

Maine kept checking her phone for the status of flight PR103 from Los Angeles. It's 6:30 in the morning. She's still sleepy but here she is, inside the car with her father at the parking lot of the airport.

"Dad, the flight will be delayed by 15 minutes according to the flight tracker."

"What else is new? Did you ask Manang to prepare the guest room?"

"Yes, dad."

"Once your aunt arrives, I will ask Rogelio to drop me at my office then you can go home. I will try to be early so I can join you for dinner."

"Yes, dad."

She glanced at her father who is already engrossed studying documents. He has never gotten to the point at using laptop or tablet outside the office and always asks his executive assistant to print documents so he can write his comments on the side.

Maine gathered her courage to bring up a sensitive topic. "Dad, about my job application...."

"Must we discuss this again Nicomaine? You know my decision is final. What were you thinking applying for a position at the Corporate Services Division? It's a good thing that the HR department alerted me. How many times do I have to tell you, the Construction business is not suited for women and definitely not for my daughter! Go build your career somewhere else. Or you can take up additional studies, finishing school or something."

"I'll think about it, dad" Not suited for women, kaya pala ang dami ng female engineers sa company.

"Dad, Tita's flight has already landed." There's no use continuing the topic. His mind is already closed.

Meet Nicomaine Mendoza, 22 years old, an AB English graduate. (A/N: Yes, English, ang English na walang kamalay-malay). Born with the proverbial silver spoon of a very protective father, Vicente Mendoza, a businessman who has made a name for himself in the Construction and Property Development business. The classic case of rags to riches story of a self-made man who rose from obscurity to becoming the CEO and President of one of the top 10 companies in its industry through sheer hard work and guts.

----------

The lady that came out of the exit at Bay 6 of the Arrival area and is now approaching them carrying her luggage is a middle-aged woman in her early 50's. The only adjective that came to Maine's mind is stylish but on the eccentric side. Her simple black blouse and slacks pale in comparison to the older lady's very colorful outfit. Yes, her aunt is as eccentric as she remembered her to be, the few and rare times they saw each other, or if you go by her posts in her Facebook account. Rare times because her dad is not one to keep in touch with his relatives. Only when he needs to.

"How's your trip, Teresita?"

"I'm fine, thank you Kuya. Why so formal, my dear brother? And how many times will I remind you? It's Terrie, not Teresita. Hello!! we're already in the 21st Century."

She looked behind him and noticed the young lady wearing glasses standing behind her brother. "Well, well, well, and who is this young lady over here, over here?"