The Solar System / The Great Game 1

Start from the beginning

Kate wakes up with a groan in a lying position and as soon as she's able to take her surrounding in she notices that she's laying on the sofa and that Mycroft and Sherlock sitting in the armchairs watching her.
"Good to have you back Kate." Mycroft says with his fake smile.
Kate sits up and holds her head. "Bloody hell."
Mrs. Hudson rushes to her with a glass of water. "Slow down darling. You took quite the hit." Kate drinks it in one go and Mrs. Hudson pets her cheek. "I'm gonna get you some more water."
Mrs. Hudson leaves and Kate groans again. "My head and ribs hurt like hell."
"The doctors checked you as good as there could. You were only half awake. I don't think you remember any of it but since we live together with a doctor we could convince them to not take you with them. As it seems you had luck. The cuts in your hands and torso aren't too deep." Sherlock says and Kate notices that both her hands and her torso are wrapped up. "And the liquids of my experiments weren't harmful to the skin or anything so...besides bruises and a concussion you're good."
"Are you okay?" Kate looks up to him.
"Yeah, I'm fine. A few scratches but nothing big. I wasn't directly in front of the window like you."
"What the hell even happened?"
Before Sherlock can explain you hear John storming up the stairs calling both your names. Once he entered the living room he made a relieved sound to see you both alive and breathing.
"John." Sherlock says while playing a tune on his violin.
John tried to catch his breath from running up the stairs. "I saw it on the telly, are you both okay?"
"Oh yeah, I'm fine. You need to check Kate again tho. Gas leak apparently."
"I can't." Sherlock says turning back to Mycroft.
"Can't?" Mycroft asks, clearly not believing him.
"I can't spare the time."Kate raises an eyebrow and crosses her arms while sharing looks with John.
"This is of national importance." Mycroft points out.
"How's the diet?" Sherlock asks bluntly to change the subject.
"Fine!" Mycroft answers annoyed and Kate snorts.
"Maybe you can help me get through to him Kate? John?"
"What?" John asks, still catching his breath from running.
"I'm afraid my brother can be very intransigent."
"If you're so keen why haven't you investigated?"
"No, no, no. I can't possibly be away from the office any length of time. Not with the Korean election so..." everyone looked at Mycroft in confusion. "Well, you don't need to know about that, do you? Besides, a case like this requires leg work." He says with a disgusted expression and Sherlock's head shoots up just as he made another tone with his violin.
"And John how was the lilo?" Sherlock tries to change the subject again.
"Sofa Sherlock, it was the sofa." Mycroft and Kate say at the same time.
Sherlock gave John another look. "Oh yes, of cause."
"How??...Never mind." John states.
"Sherlock's business seems to be booming since you and him and now Kate became....pals..?" Mycroft says in attempt to bring the previous topic back on.
He also looks at Kate now. "How is he to live with? Hellish I imagine."
"We're never bored." John answers and Kate nods very enthusiastically.
"Good. That's good, isn't it?" Mycroft says with his usual fake grin and Kate shrugs unsure.

Mycroft gets up and wants to hand Sherlock the documents for the case he wants Sherlock to solve but Sherlock just stares at him instead of taking them, so Mycroft makes his way to John and Kate who sit together on the sofa now. He hands each of them a pile of paper and starts to explain the case of Andrew West, who was found dead on the train treks with his head smashed in this morning.
"Jumped in front of a train?" John asks.
"That seems to be the logical assumption."
"But?" Kate asks while looking through the files.
"But?"
"You wouldn't be here if it was just an accident?"
Sherlock laughs and Kate looks at him for a second before looking back at Mycroft, who starts to explain that Mr. West was part of a program and took care of an important memory stick that is now missing.
"That wasn't very clever." Kate marks out and sees Sherlock smirking again.
"It wasn't the only copy. But it is secret, and missing."
"Top secret?" John asks again now.
"Very. We can't risk it falling in the wrong hands." He turns around to Sherlock again. "You gotta find those plans, Sherlock. Don't make me order you."
"I'd like to see you try."
Kate snorts at that and Mycroft gives her an unhappy look.
"Think it over." He says to Sherlock again before turning to John and Kate to shake their hands. "Goodbye, John. Kate. See you very soon."
Sherlock starts to play nervous music with his violin while Mycroft leaves and John and Kate just give him a strange look till Kate bursts out in laughter.
As soon as John knows that Mycroft can't hear them anymore he turns to Sherlock. "Why did you lie? You got nothing on. Not a single case."
"That's why the wall took a pounding." Kate throws in.
"Why did you tell your brother you were busy?"
"Why shouldn't I?"
"Oh." John nods and looks at Kate.
"Nice." She says rolling her eyes and leans back against the sofa.
"Sibling rivalry." John signs.
"Now we're getting somewhere." Kate says sarcastically.
Before Sherlock can answer his phone rings and he picks it up. His face lits up and after he ended the call he immediately gets up. "Lestrade. I'm being summoned. You're coming?"
John gets up and follows Sherlock. A few seconds later they return and look at Kate.
"Me too?" She asks surprised.
"Obviously?" Sherlock says as if it's as clear as the fact that the earth goes around the sun.
"But I'll need my painkillers for that." She says while John helps her up from the sofa.
Sherlock's already downstairs getting a cab for them.