Lakeside

It was the end of our sophomore year, and my parents drove me, Yes, and Lauren to meet Gavin at his family's camp. After an hour drive, a lot of delays from Yes, and some missed turns, we finally made it down the dirt road leading to our destination.

After unpacking and putting our stuff in the guest room, we were waiting to have dinner with both of our families (and my two friends.) Although we were only staying for the evening, and driving back to Philly that night, I was beyond excited.

Aiden had spent the whole night flirting with Yes (and ended up fully clothed in the lake.) He was tending to his emotional wounds while we got ready to go down to the lake to actually swim.

We went there earlier to take pictures and look at the view. This time, Lauren was glued to her cell phone the entire way, complaining about the lack of signal.

"Come on, Brooke. Text me back! It's not that hard!"

I turned to her and asked, "Lauren, who's Brooke?"

She adjusted her sunglasses and said, "Don't worry about it." Then she went back to her phone.

I looked at Yes, who shrugged back. I turned my attention to Gavin.

"Are you ready for s'mores later?"

He grinned and held my hand. "Of course, I can't wait to have s'moreos."

"What the heck is that?"

"It's just s'moreos with Oreos instead of graham crackers. You'll love them."

"I guess I'll have to try them."

"I guess you will," he said back and stared into my eyes.

"And I guess I'll have to throw up," Yes said jokingly.

Yes ran at the water to get away from us, but ran back out quickly. "It's so cold!"

Gavin put his face in his hands and laughed. "It's only the end of June," he told her.

"Yeah, I think I'll wait on the beach. You guys go ahead," Yes told us, "I might as well stay with Lauren and help her quit her texting addiction."

We strolled down to the water. Yes was right; it was pretty cold. Gavin put me on his back and hoisted me up so that only the tips of my toes touched the water.

"Much better," I said and kissed him on the cheek.

After awhile, we got Lauren away from her phone long enough to play a game of chicken. Gavin put me on his shoulders, and Yes put Lauren on her shoulders.

We trash talked and shoved each other as hard as we could, but in the end, Lauren fell first into the freezing waves. She popped up out of the water with a frown.

"You look like a drenched rat," I teased.

"That's it!"

Lauren started coming after me. Gavin started running until he couldn't anymore and we had to swim. There was a dock in the middle of the swimming area. We barely reached it when Lauren climbed up the ladder. Gavin went in front of me, like a human shield.

Gavin yelled, "You'll never take us alive!"

"I don't know about that. Call off your boy toy Katie. This one's between you and me," Lauren said in between giggles.