One-Shot: New Hand

~Right after the war~

"Shit!" a shattering sound reaches my ears. I jog to Naruto's kitchen and see him grumbling at the shatter glass on the ground. "Naruto, where's your broom and dust pan?" I ask. He points to his pantry. I grab the two and sweep up the glass.

"Sorry," he mutters. I chuckle and shake my head. "Not your fault that you got a new hand," I pause and rephrase my sentence. "Correction: it is your fault because if you and Sasuke weren't so thick skulled, you both would still have both original arms," I deadpan, still not over it.

He chuckles sheepishly, "Hehe, yeah," I roll my eyes and finish cleaning up the glass. I toss the shards in the trash and get a new glass out of the cabinet. "What you want to drink?" I ask him. "Soda," I take the bottle out of his refrigerator and pour the dark amber drink. I put a straw into and set it on the table.

I've been living in Naruto's apartment at his request since he got home from the hospital. He asked me to stay around and help him with his new hand. Of course I couldn't say no, if I didn't have someone helping me when I got my prosthetic for the first time, I don't know how long it would've taken.

"Wiggle each finger individually," I tell him. He pulls his hand back and concentrates on his fingers. A few times a day I help him get used to it.

He wiggles each a few times. I make and fist and he does the same. I clench it a few times and he copies. "Now try the glass again," I instruct. He slowly reaches for his glass. He wraps his fingers around it and lifts it up. He rotates his wrist and the glass stays in his grasp.

He grins and his eye light up. "I can hold it!" he exclaims. He sets the glass down slowly and looks at me. I nod with a small smile, "Soon you won't even have to think about lifting a glass," I assure. His eyes crinkle up with his smile. I suddenly feel my face heat up. He smiles even more. I advert my eyes from his blinding pure smile long enough to feel my face cool down. "Your face gets really red when you blush," he mentions. I pout playfully, "Just drink your damn soda,"

He drinks the soda slowly. He looks up and chuckles a few times. He finishes his soda and there is a comfortable silence resting in the air.

"Give me your hand," My head pops up at his words. I raise an eyebrow but outstretch my arm. He extends his new arm and intertwines his fingers with mine. He squeezes my hand a few times. His grip has returned back to its former strength. "You have little hands," he says.

I roll my eyes, "Compared to your hands yes," He still holds my hand as his mind wanders off. "Hey!" he says excitedly.

"Hm?"

"Wanna go to the park?!" I groan and slump back into the chair. "Wanna stay home because my allergies are acting up and I don't want a stuffy nose?" He sighs but complies. I hop onto the couch and Naruto follows suit. I lean my head against his arm and we sat together in comfortable silence.

After a few moments I break it, "So the war is over now, isn't it?" I ask, still coming to terms with it. "Yeah, it finally is," he sighs. I don't remember the last time I had a decent amount of sleep. "So what are you gonna do now?" I ask.

He looks up at the ceiling, collecting his thoughts, "Probably do a bunch of missions. You?"

"I think I'm going to be doing more anbu missions now. I had so many other duties that I barely did go on any anbu mission," He nods. And we talk casually about different things, like black holes.

"I wonder what the inside of a black hole is like?" he thinks aloud. "Probably very black. It is a vacuum so probably not fun," I predict. I feel his fingers run through my hair. "Your hair is really soft," he observes in child-like awe. I chuckle slightly, "Thanks,"

His hand lightly tugs my hair with each motion. He's never played with my hair like this, but I don't think I really mind it. I feel more and more relaxed until I let my eyes close. I was just going to rest my eyes for a minute.

Third POV

She didn't rest her eyes for a minute, she full on fell asleep with him petting her hair. His calloused hands slide through her hair even after he notices her slumber. He has never felt hair this soft before. Her black hair with occasional detail of dark red fell through his hands, mesmerizing him. "So soft," is all he could think as he subconsciously continues playing with her hair

~~~

Hono wakes up later that day under Naruto's arm. She glances up and notices his sleep. She slowly slides out from under him and makes her way to the kitchen. Her bare foot + metal leg press against the cold tile. It's around lunch time, so she'd figure that she'll make some lunch for the two of them.

Her mind wanders as she paces around the kitchen, making food. An old tune floats into her head, and she can't seem to get it out. The song was called Helplessly.

It's not that easy with you here
But I know I want you to stay.
See this could be us in a few years
But just admit you like to play

She sings the familiar melody to herself quietly, swaying with the tune.

It's like everyday,
I'm kicking rocks.
I could fly away,
But you got me at a complete stop.

Naruto wakes up to the sound of her singing voice, something he hasn't heard in the longest time.

How do you
Manage to keep me going
But somehow you keep me from going...

He props his head up on the back of the couch with a grin.

See you distract me, but I'm distracted without you.
I don't know how to focus baby teach me how to.
Cause I'm standing still again
But if you love me, just like the way that I love you
I wouldn't mind a little comforting from you.
Why do I let you in my head?

She put some rice on to boil as her feet dance to the music.

And I gotta go sometimes, but you're always on my mind.
You're not helping me...
But I helplessly fall, for you.

He watches her glide across the floor.

Now I'm running late
And I'm not a coffee drinker,
But I lost sleep just thinking of you.
So pour me a cup,
I need to wake up,
I need me some love.
Now give it to me.

She smiles at her favorite verse of the song. She lets herself twirl in the kitchen while getting another ingredient.

Cause everywhere you go I'll follow you.
I'll give you all of me, give me all of you.
I gotta go sometimes,
But you're always on my mind.

'She's so pretty', he thought to himself. He loves that smile she's wearing now.

See you distract me, but I'm distracted without you.
I don't know how to focus baby teach me how to
Cause I'm standing still again
Cause if you love me, just like the way that I love you
I wouldn't mind a little comforting from you.
Why do I let you in my head?
No

He quietly gets off the couch and approaches the girl swaying her hips to her own tune.

And I gotta go sometimes, but you're always on my mind.
You're not helping me babe...
But I fall helplessly for you, for you.
You're not helping me babe...
But I fall helplessly for you, for you.

She spins around and Naruto's in her vision. She steps back in shock, "Oh! Um," she looked to the ground, embarrassed. He shakily takes her hand in his new one. He slowly spins her around, like a princess. "Tada," he says in a soft but excited voice.

An idea popped into his head. He bows, "Will you give me this dance?" he asks. She snicker, "Of course, my prince," she curtsies back. They take each others hand and sloppily dance around the kitchen.

"Your footwork needs a bit of work, but you're HANDling is getting better," she emphasizes. He groans but can't help himself from laughing at her awful pun.