41 - Begin the Begin

Beginne am Anfang

His anger has mellowed. What he feels now looking at the very beautiful woman in front of him is indifference. That's the reason why buying the car did not affect him as it should. Whatever her reason is doesn't matter.

Now that he has made something of himself that he can throw to her face, he no longer cares.

So, when Ms. Ruby spotted him, and Maine finally faced him, he can say nonchalantly, "Hi Maine."

--------------------

It was different for Maine.

While Ms. Ruby was talking and it's getting clearer who the Guest of Honor is that she needs to entertain, Maine's initial thought is to back out then just run and hide. Hide away from him. This is not the scenario that she imagined how their next meeting will be. In her imagination, she will have the upper hand.

But she was not given enough time to process and react. Richard is already there when she turned, greeting her. It took all her self-control not to shout at him. How dare he stand there, composed, calm and collected when everything inside her is in turmoil.

Her breeding won, she need not know how he's affecting her.

"Richard."

Ms. Ruby affectionately embraced Richard in greeting while Maine looked on. "Richard! How are you? Good to see you! So you remember each other."

"Good to see you too Ms. Ruby. I'm glad to be back. And yes, who would forget Ms. Maine?" He then turned to face her while Ms. Ruby continued talking.

"Ang galing-galing mo! You know when I caught your interview sa CNN, para kong nanay mo na siguradong proud na proud sa 'yo. Sinabi ko agad kay boss na dapat i-invite ka namin. Hindi puwedeng hindi! Diba Maine? To think that almost two years ago, we were just touring this place and thinking of possible design. Look where you are now! Ikaw din Maine! Nakakatuwa!"

The two protagonists just stood facing each other, not hearing a word that Ms. Ruby is saying.

A/N: Sa pula, sa puti?

Richard is trying to separate the meek, naive and unsure person that he has fallen in love with before from the stylish and stunning woman standing in front him, while Maine on the other hand, with all the bitterness still present in her heart, is doing everything she can to take control of her emotions.

It was at that moment that Kakai came running, trying to catch her breath, from climbing the stairs. "Maaainnneee! Hindi ka maniniwala kung sino...." and stopping cold when she saw who's facing who.

"Haay, kapagod, (hingal) inakyat ko yung hagdan kasi ang daming sumasakay sa elevator. (hingal) Tisoy! Long time no see! Now we see now! Bakit naunahan mo ko, saan ka dumaan? Maine, andito ka pala, kanina pa kita hinahanap. Tara na, ang dami ng tao sa main hall. Ms. Ruby, mauna na kami nitong bestfriend ko ha?"

"Wait Kakai! I was asking Maine to sit with Richard kasi hindi ko siya maasikaso the whole time. Nakakahiya naman kung pababayaan natin ang Guest of Honor natin. Diba Maine?"

Gusto n'yo bang magpatayan yung dalawa? "Guest of Honor? Ma'am, malaki na 'tong si Richard, smart pa. Sanay yang magnetwork. Kaya niya sarili niya. Diba Tisoy? Uy napanood ka namin! Bakit ang talino mo? In fairness, wala akong naintindihan! Hehe joke lang Tisoy, pero puwede mo ring seryosohin. Buti okay ang suot mo ngayon. Kung hindi.... may kilala kong mag-fafashion pulis sa 'yo."

"Why Kakai, is there a problem?" Ms. Ruby is getting confused.

It was Maine who answered, passing a secret message to Ate Kai to stay quiet. "Don't mind her, Ms. Ruby. Of course, I'm okay sitting with our Guest of Honor. Mr. Richard Faulkerson Jr. I will entertain him. Do you want a dance number or a song number? Shall we?"