CHAPTER 6.1

He regains power now
He will take the world once more
And we will lives as kings once more
He will take the Rose Book
He will finally have his victory

~Song of the Woods 

_________________________________

"Dawn's rays pierced through the pine

"Dawn's rays pierced through the pine."

So when Honey awoke in the cart that swayed slightly as they traveled down the bumpy path, the first rays of sunlight that Honey had seen in days was there to greet her. Honey smiled as she watched the sun rise, painting the sky the soft colors of dawn. The trees in this part of the woods didn't to grow as thickly, allowing the sun's light to peek through their dark green branches. 

Dai was awake and looking at the sunrise as well, the hood of his cloak pulled down so Honey could see the back of his head, his ears pricked and body tense, as if he was waiting for something to go wrong.

"It really is beautiful, isn't it?" Honey asked. Dai jumped at the sound of her voice, his surprise leaking through his golden eyes. He didn't know she was awake yet. However, he saw that sleep was still clinging to her features, and Dai guessed that she had risen with the sun.

Honey stared at Dai, waiting for a response, but he said nothing, instead, he offered a slight twitch of his right ear to show he had heard her.

"My mother told me it was the only time that both the sun and the moon lived in harmony over the sky," she said. Dai said nothing as he thought over the Lekki girl's words, trying to figure out if he believed her or not. His eyes were narrowed and his tail twitching behind him as he thought, body remaining tense.

"Your mother was wrong," he said after a long, choking silence.

"And why do you say that?" Honey huffed, feeling the slightest bit defensive.

"Lekki are always so quick to forget dusk," Dai said, automatically. "Us Mutare like it though. It is the only time the light will ever lose to the shadow," he said, turning away from Honey. "But both the sun and the moon are in the sky, just like the dawn," he said.

It was Honey's turn to fall silent as she thought about Dai's words. She found herself shocked that the young Mutare's words were true. Yet...dawn wasn't the same as dusk. There was something purer, brighter that happened at dawn. Dai kept his back to Honey, simply staring into the trees ahead, while Honey stared at the Mutare, trying to figure him out. 

How was it that he could not see the difference between dawn and dusk? It was strange to even compare the two. Yes, they were alike in both color and the sun and moon were in the sky, but at dawn... there was just something... better.

"Does Lekki girl Honey not believe me?" The young Mutare's words snapped Honey back to reality as she realized that Dai was sitting there, looking at her. Studying her every movement. There was something about the way his golden eyes glossed over her body that didn't seem quite right.