CHAPTER 2.2

"The place we all fear

"The place we all fear."

Sharp pine needles tore at Aldwin's face, seeking his blood as he pushed through the dark pines behind Gwen. He could hear her laughter up ahead, as the sky up above became the two Lekki children grew darker and darker with every passing footstep and the reality of what they had done began to sink in. 

They were in the Wild Woods, the place of no sunrises and the land without hope. The place where no Lekki could survive, yet here they were, Aldwin chasing after Gwen like it was some silly game. Perhaps it would be best if they thought of it like a game.

It didn't take long for Aldwin to catch up with Gwen, as she wasn't all that fast especially in the long, baby blue dress that brushed against her ankles that she was wearing. Gwen was hunched over, her hands on her knees, gasping for breath, when Aldwin finally caught up to her. 

Unlike Aldwin, she had simply dashed into the woods without so much as looking where she was going and the blood dripping from the scratches on her cheek was proof enough for that. To Aldwin, it looked like she must have cut her cheek on an, especially sharp branch.

"This is why you should've stayed," Aldwin grumbled, cupping his hands around Gwen's face to inspect her wound. It wasn't deep, thankfully, but it still caused Aldwin to worry. If Gwen had gotten injured just heartbeats after they had entered the woods, then what dangers lay ahead?

 At least Gwen hadn't injured her foot, or else they'd have to turn back before they even began. However, fresh blood was still something to worry about, as who knew what types of creatures it might attract.

"I'm...fine..." Gwen said in between gasps for breath. "It's not...like it matters much...anyways," she said, standing back up and looking deeper into the woods. However, all she saw was shadows, in every direction she looked. "Looks like there's no going back now, is there?" Gwen asked the faint smile on her lips fading away at the realization of her choice sank in. 

Then again, even if she did go back, she knew what was waiting for her there. And there were some things that were far worse than the Wild Woods. Especially for someone like Gwen.

"It seems so," Aldwin said, looking around.

"Not that I want to go back, mind you," Gwen added, straightening her posture.

"Of course."

"Because all that's waiting for me back at home is marriage, to some man from one of the southern cities, who is probably, twice my age," she said.

"You talk a lot," Aldwin grumbled, although he wasn't really listening to what she had said. Instead, he was trying to figure out which way to go.

Gwen giggled at Aldwin's comment before turning her back to him, so he wouldn't see her sly smile. "So I've been told," she said. "Do you know where we're going to go now, Aldwin?" Gwen looking around, but just as last time she only saw darkness and shadow that seemed to grow thicker every passing moment. "Or should I just point in a direction and we see what we can find there?" she suggested.