Chapter Twenty Six: Valentines Day

***Katniss's POV***

I have to say, watching Those kids show up at Trinkets house for a party, and her finally becoming so enjoyed she threw water in them, was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. I've never laughed so hard in my entire life. But now, they have all figured out there is no party there and are leaving, which means the fun is over. For now. Everyone is staying here tonight at Johanna's house, and lord knows what we are going to do! Probably a bunch of crazy dares since we are all on a sugar rush. Though we are trying not to get to loud since Johanna's parents are sleeping upstairs. So we move down to the basement, where we won't be heard. Everyone pulls out sleeping bags from the closet and we all sit around on the floor, the TV on but no one watching it because we are all talking.

"Hey guys." Cato says standing up with a coke in his hand. Everyone stops talking all at once, and we all look at Cato.

"So obviously, it's taken a long time for me to say this. And I wanted to say thank you for helping me out tonight, getting back at the Careers. Even if you weren't aiming to help me specifically because if what an ass I've been, it still means a lot to me." He says and we all nod, smiling at each other.

"I also, if it is okay with you all, would like to accept the invitation to join your group." This part he says looking more at me, I think because I was the reason he didn't want to be part of this group. So I stand up from my sleeping bag, ignoring the stares from around the room, and I hug Cato.

"Of course you can join our group." I say as he puts his arms around me too.

"I'm sorry Katniss."

"For?"

"For being stubborn. I shouldn't have acted how I did. It was childish."

"It's fine." I pull away from the hug, "But why did you hate me so much?"

"Oh, I'm not saying anything." He sits down taking a sip of his pop.

"Yes, you are." Finnick says.

"No, it's a really stupid to be mad at someone for so long."

"Come on, I was the victim I think I should know." I complain.

"Will you all promise not to laugh?" We all nod. He only sighs. "Fine, we were in like, 6th grade right? And of course, I had a reputation to keep of being the most athletic person in school. Well, we were outside for recess and we were playing basketball. It was my team versus Katniss's. Both of us were picking the best players for our teams. And, since I was the guy, I gave her the first pick. And she picked my best player. The person everyone knew I picked every time, but I can't eve remember who it was now. Anyways, because she took him, I got the second best who was still no comparison. So my team lost by like 20 points. And for two years, I was known as the kid who got beat by a girl's team. But since she made the last point while I was guarding, that's all anyone remembered. And I hated her for that." I know I said I wouldn't laugh, so I try my best not to.

"That's no reason to hate someone." Peeta says.

"I know and that's why I didn't want to tell you."

"Damn, and I thought Katniss and Peeta were competitive." Finnick says, he himself is trying not to laugh as well.

"Well, now that that is out in the open, can we forget about it?" Cato asks obviously embarrassed.

"Of course." I smile, "But you gotta give me a kiss first."

"Hell no!" He moves away from me.

"Just a peck on the cheek Cato." I say in a really weird, high pitched voice.

"Get away from me crazy!" He keeps backing up until I finally just lunge over towards him and kiss him on the lips. But it's only a short peck.