Chapter Twelve: I Need You

***Peeta's POV***
"You don't need me in your life." She had said. "I'm bad luck for anyone that gets too near to me so believe me when I say that this is for your own good even if you don't see it now... I'm so sorry Peeta."
After that she ran out of the room. Before I could answer.  I hear my father yell for her but she won't stop. I know her to well, from when we were kids, that she will just keep on going. I know she can't hear me, but I say it anyways.
"I do... I do need you." My voice comes out in a whisper. We have finally become friends again and now I'm being pushed away once more. I close my eyes, and I go back to a time when we were still friends.
~FLASHBACK~
Peeta stop! You are going to make a mess!" Katniss squealed but I shrugged my shoulders. I carried the bag of flour in my left hand, throwing it in her direction with my right hand.
"That's okay, we are allowed to make messes. We are 10." I threw some flour at her, hitting her in the face. It got into her hair too and I start laughing. She takes this time to come closer to me, while my eyes fill with tears from laughing so hard, and she takes the flour, dumping it on my head. My laughing stops but Katniss is soon red in the face. Her laugh is so pretty, no matter how much flour I took to make it. It is seriously better than all the candy in the world, and that's saying something. I rush towards her, tackling her to the ground, causing more flour to fall onto her.
"Your mom won't like the mess will she?" I ask.
"Nope. But oh well, we are 10, we are allowed to make messes." She mocks me. I quickly get off of her, jumping on the counter and kicking my feet.
"Last time we try to make cookies." She says.
"Yeah, probably should have asked someone..." I trail off.
"Better to ask forgiveness then permission." She shrugs, getting a towel and cleaning her face.
"So what do you wanna do today?" I ask.
"Well, Finnick said he was going to the park. With Annie. Maybe Joanna will be there too. Want to go?"
"Yeah, come on." She throws the towel on the counter as I jump off, and we rush to the door. Outside, we put on our helmets and get on our bikes. Before we take off, I look at Katniss's bike. It is old, she has had it forever and has outgrown it. The forest green and pink colors have faded that they both look grey, and it is rusty. Katniss's family doesn't have a lot of money, and with Prim being 6 now, they have had a lot to pay for. I get off my bike. It's brand new, got it for my birthday. It is orange, like a sunset, with black tiger stripes throughout it. I look at her.
"Do you want to ride mine?" I ask her.
"No that's okay. I'll ride mine."
"Katniss, come on. This bike is worn out, please ride mine." I insist. She sighs.
"Okay, I will." She trades me bikes. I know she said she didn't want to trade but it's obvious she did. She starts pedaling fast than she ever has before, and her hair flies behind her head. Usually it is in a braid but today, its natural. It's pretty. We keep going, making our way to the playground where I can see Finnick, Annie, Joanna, and Delly.
"There they are!" I hear Finnick yell as he roll up. We get off the bikes, dropping them to the ground, and we run to them.
"Yeah, time to party." Katniss jokes.
"So what are we playing?" I ask.
"I vote hide and seek." Joanna says. She always wants too play that game.
"That's all you ever want to do." Finnick complains.
"Duh, because I have a good hiding spot." She says as if it is the most obvious thing in the world.
"We will play if you are count first." Delly says.
"Fine. 1! 2! 3!" She starts yelling, closing her eyes and looking the other way. Everyone starts to run, but I catch Katniss in time.
"Come on, I know a spot." I take her hand, and we run in the other direction. We hurry along, hearing Joanna yell numbers louder and louder. We go to the last set of playground equipment, and we both duck into a little tunnel. No one ever comes here. I look at Katniss, who is catching her breath, and I notice I still have her hand. Unless she notices, I'm not letting go. We both start breathing normally again, and we hear Joanna.
"Ready or not, here I come!" She screams. I can hear the stones under her feet as she runs to find everyone.
"She won't get us, there is no way. No one ever thinks to look here." I tell Katniss.
"Do you come here a lot?"
"Sometimes. When there is no dodge ball during outside playtime I come here with my crayons and paper."
"Oh yeah, where is the flower you promised me?"
"It's on my desk at home. I'm almost finished." I say.
"And it looks like a primrose right? Her birthday is coming up and I want to give her something special."
"Won't she just want a toy? She is 6." I point out.
"But when she is older, I want her to look at it and know that that's what she is. A beautiful and delicate flower."
"That's sweet Katniss." I say. I lean a little closer to her.
"Peeta?" She says.
"Yes?"
"You are my best friend. And you always will be." She says.
"Thanks Katniss. You are my best friend as well. Nothing will change that." I say as we wait for Joanna to find the others.
~END OF FLASHBACK~
I lied to her. I said Nothing would change. That we would always be best friends. But I found new people. New people, that took me further away from Katniss after the big fight. I don't want to think about that right now. I can't afford to cry. Especially when I can hear the door opening. All of my friends come in, rushing to my bed.
"Peeta what happened?" Is the first thing out of Cato's mouth.
"I go in a car accident dip shit." I say.
"No duh. I mean, was it your fault? Did you hit him?"
"It was a drunk driver. And he hit me. But everything is okay. The only major thing is..." I trail off looking at my leg.
"We heard. We are so sorry Peeta." Glimmer says hugging me.
"Thanks. They got me a prosthetic leg though, so I can still do wrestling. Maybe not football but it is better than nothing." I say. They all nod in agreement.  
"So how long until you can leave?" Marvel asks.
"I think a week, maybe 10 days. I can't wait I hate hospitals." I say, remembering I had to come here once when I was a kid. Not because of me, because of Katniss.
~FLASHBACK~
"Ahhhhh!" I hear behind me. I turn around, look over at the swing I just jumped off of. The others are still on theirs, Finnick, Annie, Joanna, and Delly. But Katniss jumped off with me, and I don't see her. Everyone rushes over behind me,  and that's when I see her. /she is on the ground, in the dusty stones, holding her ankle. Oh no. I rush over to her, looking at her ankle that is lumpy in places it shouldn't be. She has tears running down her face and I know she is holding back a scream.
"What do we do?" Delly asks. Everyone looks at me. Why is it always me. I'm only 10 like them. I sigh. I have to be in charge, Katniss is hurt.
"Joanna, take a bike and go get her dad. Finnick, help me lift her onto the picnic table." Joanna leave and we lift Katniss, carrying her and setting her on the top of the table. She cries out when her foot hits the seat.
"Shh. Katniss it's okay. You are going to be fine." I say into her ear. I carefully work her shoe off, and I see it's very swollen already.
"Delly, I need ice. Go to your house and get some." I tell her. She doesn't live far from the playground so she takes off.
"Finnick, go grab our things by the swings. Annie help him. I'm gonna stay with her." they both nod and do as I say. I climb up next to her and give her a hug, keeping my arms round her.
"You are okay. The pain will go away I promise." I rock her gently. She keeps crying into my shirt while I say words into her ears to try and calm her down. I need to get her mind off of this.
"Hey, what's your favorite color?" I ask.
"What?"
"Your favorite color. What is it?" She sniffs and I wipe away a tear.
"Green. Like the forest. What is yours?"
"Orange."
"Like that high school art teachers hair?" She laughs. The high school art teacher comes to the elementary school to teach our art class on Tuesdays. It's working.
"Not that orange." I chuckle, "More like a sunset."
"Why do you like that?"
"Because my dad used to take me to the beach and we got to see the sun setting over the water."
"That sounds fun." She says, the tears have finally left her eyes and I think she has forgotten about the pain.
"It was, maybe we could go when we get big. With all of our friends."
"Could we really?"
"Yes! Our last year of high school we will go during spring break okay?"
"Okay." She smiles. The pain in her eyes gone and she look okay now. Joanna comes rushing over a few minutes later with her dad. She starts to cry again. I think she remembered what has happened. Mr. Everdeen picks her up.
"Hey now, don't cry. We are going to go to the Emergency Room and get you all fixed okay?" He says and she nods. We rush to his car, and I get in the back seat with Katniss, everyone else goes to the far back and Mrs. Everdeen sits up front. Prim isn't here, I'm guessing they took her to the neighbors when they found out what happened. We get to the hospital in only a few minutes and everyone gets out. Mrs. Everdeen picks up Katniss and I'm about to walk in when Mr. Everdeen stops me.
"Thank you Peeta."
"For what?"
"For helping her. It's good to know she will always have someone to be there for her." He says, leading me inside.
~END OF FLASHBACK~
"Peeta!" I hear Clove yell. I look at her shocked.
"Huh? What?"
"I said, we want to throw you a party next week when you are out of here."
"Oh, yeah, sure. I don't care." I stutter.
"Something wrong buddy?"
"Nothing. Just thinking."
"About what?" Cato asks. He acts like the leader of our group and so he feels he needs to know everything we do.
"Just the first time I ever came to a hospital."
"Yeah? I guess that approperaite for the current situtaion." He says. See what I mean? It's like he is giving me permission to to think about that. It's kind of annoying sometimes. Oh well, as long as he can't see what I'm really thinking about I'm fine. Out of everybody in the Vicors group, I think Katniss is the person he hates the most. I'm not sure what she did, or if she did anything at all. All I know is he despices her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is a 2,004 word chapter! I hope you liked it! :)

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!?

Love you all!

~Hannah