(6) Homeish

I was trying to calm myself with deep breathing when the van lurched to a quick stop. I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants and closed my eyes. After making my little wish, I grabbed my bags and carefully made my way out of the van. The building looked very similar to what I remembered it being.

We all gathered in front of the large steps that led up to the front door of the pack house. Our team leader had gone inside to meet with the Alpha, so we had a moment to talk amongst ourselves. Omegas I didn't recognize came to take our bags from us and bring them inside.

"I can take your bag, miss," a particularly small girl came up to me, head bowed. "It will be in your room for when you need it."

"Oh, thank you so much!" I smiled warmly at her and extended my hand. "What's your name?"

The girl seemed shocked at my kind greeting, as her red face shot up suddenly to look at me. "U-um.. that is unimportant, miss. I'll take your bag now." And with that she was gone.

The doors to the pack house swung open, and three figures stepped out to greet our group. The team leader, Alpha Wise, and the Alphas son Marcus. They had serious expressions on their faces as they scanned our group of warriors, and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in fear as my tormentors' gazes turned in my direction.

"Warrior Division of the Shooting Star pack, I can say with deep gratitude that all of us in East Wind thank you for your services." Alpha Wise's voice boomed almost as loud as my heart pounded in my ears. "We hope you enjoy your time here the best you can, and we also hope that you can help us be rid of our problem. I have given your leader full instructions on tasks you are to fulfill, but I shall make a brief summary of what has happened to date.

"We have had many Rouge sightings along our territorial borders in recent months, and with each sighting brings a missing pack member. We are at a loss on what to do to protect our pack, which is why we have asked for your services. At this time, you will be escorted to your rooms by my son, Marcus. Thank you again for your help."

I was shocked. Not only was I sent back to the place I ran from, but there was also extreme danger lurking around every corner because of rogues. I couldn't see how the day could get any worse, until we reached where we would be staying.

As I was about to go inside my designated room, a hand grabbed me by the wrist and tugged me backwards. When I turned around to fight back, I realized that it was the Alphas son, Marcus. He had a huge grin on his face, and I could feel my face heating up with worry.

"Um.. hi?"

"Hello, miss. Might I ask you a question?" His voice was smooth and rich, the perfect voice for an Alpha.

"Shoot."

"Have I seen you somewhere before? You look quite familiar to me."

My face became even more red than it already was. "Um... I'm pretty average looking, there's probably a million other girls who look like me."

"Oh, I doubt it! You are very beautiful, truly one of a kind." He smiled and kissed my hand. "I'll be seeing you around, then."

"Alright." There was a slight blush on my face as I turned to go into my room. There were two twin beds, and my bag was placed neatly on one of them. Ignoring unpacking, I fell back into the second bed and stared at the ceiling until I dozed off.

After a large meal for dinner, my fellow warriors and I were sent to our assigned stations. The boy I had met on the ride over, Arnold, and I were tasked with hallway patrol. We were given stun guns and small daggers as defense/offense materials. The pack house was huge, and since we were the only ones on the first floor we decided to split up.

My steps slowly took me down the mostly empty corridors, past large and small doors that all stood closed. Occasionally I would pass someone from the pack, and I would smile what I hoped was a kind smile at them.

This continued for almost an hour, what seemed like the longest hour of my life. There were no sounds, no smells, no clues of any kind that would lead me to believe there were intruders. In retrospect it was a good thing, but it made my job seem pointless and boring.

A couple more steps brought me back around a corner I had walked past about thirty times already. I stopped dead in my tracks. There, about halfway down the hallway, a door stood open. It was closed every other time I had passed it, which raised my suspicions.

I sniffed the air a little to see if there was any new scent. I couldn't smell anything new, but that didn't mean there was no one there. Slowly, I crept towards the open door. My hand made its way to the stun gun and dagger tucked into the belt around my waist as I got closer and closer.

There were small bits of leaves and twigs on the floor in front of the door, as if they were stuck to someone's boots when they made their way into the building. I could see the small hint of a path, but I had to find out if they were still in the room.

My eyes changed from their usual light chocolate color to a deep purple, the color they were when I was in wolf form. I slowly peered around the edge of the door into the room. The lights were off and it was dark, but I could slightly make out a figure on the floor. Taking careful steps, I reconfigured my position so I'd be able to turn the lights back on. My heart pounded in my chest as I reached out and flicked the switch.

A dark black wolf stood in the room, staring at me with its beady red eyes. As soon as I turned on the light, it pounced. I ducked just barely in time. It's claw nicked the side of my face as it soared over me, and we hit the ground at the same time. Blood started to ooze and flow from my cut, but I had to maintain my position.

After the wolf landed, it bolted. I scrambled to my feet and tried to follow it, but I was too late. It was clearly a wolf of high ranking, or I would have been able to take it down without breaking a sweat. Feeling defeated, I turned to search the room and find why an intruder would want to be in that particular room.

It was like a tornado had blown through. Every drawer was pulled from its place, every book had been thrown from its bookshelf, every nook and cranny torn apart. Clearly they were searching for something, but I don't think he found it.

The worst part of anything was the body on the floor. An Omega laid on the floor in a pool of her own blood. Her skin was drained of color, and her chest looked like it was straight out of a horror movie. How did I not hear anything? How did I not smell anything? I took a couple steps closer to her body, which I found to be a corpse. My eyes watered up with a mixture of anger, sadness and fear.

A realization hit me like a ton a bricks- this girl looked exactly like me. This girl could have been me. I sunk to my knees and looked down into her lifeless eyes. I knew that this trip would be a disaster, I just hadn't realized it would be to this extent.