Chapter 32

Happy 10K Celebration! Here's Chapter 32. As always, I hope you enjoy :)

*************

"There she is! The girl we've been waiting for!" Mrs. Bermingham smiled proudly at me, and I waved to her from across the hallway, quickening my pace towards the conversing group of adults. 

Nina's curiosity had gotten the best of her, and she decided to tag along behind me to, as she had put it, "find out what all that cursed hoopla was about."

Mrs. Fleischer and Mrs. Bermingham were clutching their handkerchiefs to their chests, sentimental smiles plastered across their tear-streaked faces.

Author stood aloofly between the two gushing females with a look of polite disinterest on his face.

I couldn't stop myself from gasping in surprise, because he had no spared no effort in dressing to impress his two old teachers. He had disregarded his usual attire for a more refined choice, a checkered sweater vest and a long sleeved shirt. His usual head of messy black hair had been tamed, and he looked like the gentleman that everyone had hoped he would be.

"Oh, Elizabeth! Can you believe how much he's grown? Can you believe how handsome he's become?" Mrs. Fleischer shook her head, dabbing her eyes with the tip of her handkerchief.

"I can hardly believe it." I smirked, nodding my head in appreciation. 

"It seems like only yesterday, Author, that you were running around in your lederhosen, causing trouble wherever you went. Time certainly does fly, doesn't it?"

"Indeed."

"Have you missed us at all, Author?" Mrs. Bermingham suddenly asked, and I wondered what his answer would be. 

"Terribly."

The indifferent look on Author's face and the monotone of his voice told me that he was definitely lying, and seeing that he was actually trying to spare someone else's feelings for once made me question a lot of things, but certainly did not stop me from laughing hysterically.

"What is so funny, girl?" Mrs. Fleischer asked, a bit peeved by my laughter. 

"Oh, it's nothing. Nothing at all, I just-" I launched into another fit of giggles and laughter. 

"Nevermind her, Author." Mrs. Bermingham smiled at him. "She's probably just too overwhelmed with joy that you came."

"Not really," I lied, then cleared my throat. "Just a bit tired, I suppose."

My excuse was lost on Mrs. Bermingham, who was already chattering away with Author and Mrs. Fleischer. Now, only Lexie, Nina and I remained in the outside circle, waiting patiently for the two women to finally give him some space. 

I listened closely as Author's replies reached one, two, sometimes even three syllables. It wasn't until a solid five minutes later that he finally began to form full sentences, probably much more comfortable that when he had first arrived. 

It wasn't until Mrs. Bermingham gestured briefly to Lexie that I noticed her for the first time. Throughout the entire conversation, she had been standing quietly with her hands tucked before her.

The look she had on her face was alarming, to say the least.

Gone were the mature, honest eyes that had gazed into mine only minutes before, and her easy smile and relaxed body language had vanished completely

Lexie's eyes were filled with nothing less than lecherous, flirtatious intent. It became obvious to me that her former disinterest towards Author had vanished, and she had become very keen on his every movement.