Chapter 11

Hallo. Thanks for deciding to read on. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Picture of Savannah on top!
******
Dark clouds tumbled across the skies like big tufts of dismal darkness. It was a foggy afternoon, and as torrents of rain poured down from the blackened sky, Savannah and I struggled to see the road ahead of us.

We were on our way to Cheshire Heights Farm, located in the heart of the hills. And though the credibility of Savannah's article for the newspaper depended on it Mother Nature seemed totally against it.

Only the dim orange headlights of Savannah's white jeep lighted the way through the thick fog. The constant sound of the windshield wipers sliding against the glass was the only thing that could be heard over the pouring rain.

"I think we're almost there," Savannah said, taking a right turn off the main road and onto a slim dirt road that led through some trees.

"We couldn't have picked a better day to go do your interview about the dead farm animals." I remarked sarcastically, staring out the window into the foggy, grey afternoon.

"I know. I know. I messed up. If only I had arranged to meet with the old guy sooner, then this wouldn't have happened..."

Four days had passed since the murders had taken place, and since the radio reports were given. Since then, approximately nine more murders had occurred, and investigators still had no leads.

The week ending had not only signified five days without any leads on the gruesome string of murders, but it had also signified that there were only two days left until the final drafts were to be submitted for the newspaper. Launch Day was on Sunday, and our final drafts?

Well, those were due an hour ago.

But thanks to Savannah's forgetfulness, a quick trip to the farm had been warranted in order to finish the last minute article.

"Ugh, it's so muddy out here." She moaned. "My jeep is gonna look like shit by the time we get back." She turned a narrow corner, and continued up the bumpy hill.

"I think that's the least of our concerns." I reminded her. "For one, we can barely even see, and secondly, it's raining cats and dogs out."

"True. Funny how the weather suddenly changed. Yesterday it was as bright as a rainbow out. Now it's blacker than my mom's front teeth." She laughed, and I laughed with her.

Despite the fog, in a couple of minutes a big red barn came into view. Behind it was a small wooden house which I presumed  belonged to the old farmer we had come to see.

Savannah parked the car in front of the barn, and together we hopped out of the jeep, landed ankle deep in mud, and trudged towards the porch of the house.

In the short distance we had run, we had already become soaked. I looked down at my green shirt and thanked God that I hadn't decided to wear a white one instead.

Savannah knocked on the door, and we waited on the porch where the rain continued to blow in, lashing at our skin and faces. Soon, the door was opened by a stout old lady who happened to be wearing a night gown, despite the fact that it was only 4 in the afternoon.

"Oh dear heavens!" She exclaimed in a thick southern accent, taking in our soaked appearances. "You girls are soaked from head to toe. C'mon, get inside."

She opened the door wider and we stepped into the small cozy living room of the home, relieved to be out of the cold bitter rain. The warmth of the fire by their old stone fireplace instantly seeped through our wet clothing, bringing us relief.